My VIC-20 Setup

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

My VIC-20 Setup

Post by BBQedIguana »

Well, I think I've pretty much got my VIC-20 setup complete. Hmmmm... did I post this already? Senility is starting to set in, methinks! Anyway, thanks to all that helped me acquire the bits and pieces. It's just like my setup when I was a kid! (Except for the fancy colour TV and it's A/V inputs).

There's a VIC-1600 Modem plugged in the back that's not visible in the image, and off to the right are the VIC-20 User's Guide and VIC-20 Programmer's Reference Guide. I picked up the genuine Atari joystick at a thrift store for $1.99!

Rick Towns
Barrie, Ontario, CANADA
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Nice setup!

Now you just need a Mega-Cart to really have some fun. :wink:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

I hear those Mega-Carts are awesome! Someday I'll grab one! For now I've got tons to keep me busy...
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

BBQedIguana wrote:I hear those Mega-Carts are awesome! Someday I'll grab one! For now I've got tons to keep me busy...
You don't know what you are missing!
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

needs to be more messier.

put alot of papers, cassettes and books on the desk, along with some coke can/coffe cups.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

Don't listen to Luzur... that's pure perfection as it is. Though the Atari joysticks suck big time even if they look like retro nirvana. :P
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I've never understood the appeal of the Atari joystick either. I always found it rather stiff and uncomfortable. I use a Cheetah Mach I which handles like a dream.

Another good joystick is the Mindscape Powerplayer. This one is perfect for playing Zool 2.
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Ah, the Atari joystick is there because that's what I had when I was a youngster. I am trying to reasonably replicate my setup from back in around 1983. And even back then, my desk was never messy - I always had it tidy (just please... don't look in the drawers!!! LOL!).
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

The best joystick is the standard WICO bat handle joystick. I have two that I have been using for over 25 years.

Barney
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Barney wrote:The best joystick is the standard WICO bat handle joystick. I have two that I have been using for over 25 years.
I dunno if you've got enough testing time in yet... LOL! :D
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I've kept half an eye out for these infamous Wico joysticks but there seems to be a few different models and I'm not sure which are which...any pointers?

PS: Nice little set up there. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Someone need a cool joystick ?

Take a look here, it's mine 8)

Please look on the down side of the photo :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Whew! It actually was a picture of your joystick. I thought we were going off topic there! LOL! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink... say no more!)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I've kept half an eye out for these infamous Wico joysticks but there seems to be a few different models and I'm not sure which are which...any pointers?
You can't go wrong with any of the Command Control models and the one you choose is largely dependent on personal preference. They made models with bat handles, a ball on top and a flight stick-type handle as well as somewhat more rare "3 in 1" where you could switch between the aforementioned handles. They are all fantastic joysticks.

Regardless of which you choose, remember to add a codicil to your will because you'll break before the Wico joystick does. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.