VIC-specific monitor?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

VIC-specific monitor?

Post by BBQedIguana »

Ah, my "original" 1980's vintage VIC setup is getting closer and closer to being complete. Thanks to Ernie (TPUG), 6502 Dude and Golan, I've got my VIC-20 with at white VIC-1541 disk drive, a VICModem, a 16K VIC-1111 RAM expander, tape cassette and even a copy of Omega Race (the only game I ever really played)!

The TV I'm using is a 13 inch colour Sylvannia which I didn't obviously have when I was a kid. I used a wood veneer 9 inch B&W TV! But I don't want to be THAT loyal to my cause - I don't mind colour! But that makes me wonder if there was ever a VIC-specific monitor released? All the ads I see show the 1701/02 monitor, but that's C64 beige, not VIC white.

Is there a model of Commodore monitor out there from 1981/82 that comes dressed in VIC colours (white/dark brown)? Just curious! :)

Rick
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The only Commodore branded monitor we currently know of is the VIC-1510 but it is only known from a low-res scan of a Japanese brochure. It means it is beyond ultra rare, probably nobody would believe it is genuine if a such monitor even surfaced. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look particularly off-white like the VIC-1001, VIC-20, VIC-1540 and so on are.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

it looks more like ordinary monitor grey to me.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

Ah, okay. I think I saw that ad photo before (of the VIC with a monitor) and just assumed it was a 1701/02 (since the image is black and white).

Maybe I'll just pick up an old 1702 and head to Rona and get some white and brown paint and create my own VIC monitor! LOL!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

BBQedIguana wrote:Maybe I'll just pick up an old 1702 and head to Rona and get some white and brown paint and create my own VIC monitor! LOL!
I've been wondering why nobody has done that.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I have an old marketing advertisement with Viccessories in big bold letters. It basically shows all the different peripherals available for the VIC at that time (including what looks like a Commodore monitor in the pale beige colour of the VIC-20).

I'd upload a picture for you, but I don't know how to do it and I'm not sure what equipment I need.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Is it a VIC-1510? We've been discussing that one for, well, forever.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

The monitor number is obscured by the printer, but I imagine the monitor is the one Carlsson refers to. The picture is clear enough.

The funny thing about the ad is that while it describes the software, the printer, the disk drive and the modem, it does not directly mention the monitor even though there is one present on the picture with the Commodore logo on it.

As I recall, the ad came from Canada, so I guess the marketing would have been US style.
smj
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by smj »

The 1510 is documented in a Japanese brochure which I've partially
translated. Not much information is given, however, it does not say
its a telelvision and states that it has a composite interface. It doesn't
say whether it has a built in speaker or not. But yeah, this ought to be
a DIY project. Photo metal nameplates are pretty easy to have made
and aren't too expensive. Someone could make a mock VIC screen or
maybe even a VIC-1510LCD ;-)
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

why dont Denial just pay for an big full page ad in a Japanese newspaper for this monitor? :)
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Would there be any benefit to designing a monitor for the VIC? i.e. improved sound/picture quality etc.

Also, would it be compatible with both PAL and NTSC?
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Had to show this, I think it is from an Australian add (not sure).

Most Probably not commodore brand at all, but look how the monitor's design matches the vic20 and datassette.... Stunning!

I wonder if it was from a third-party manufacturer making hardware to match commodore stuff?

If not, this is an impressive matchup!

a4000bear
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by a4000bear »

OBSysteme wrote:Had to show this, I think it is from an Australian add (not sure).

Most Probably not commodore brand at all, but look how the monitor's design matches the vic20 and datassette.... Stunning!

I wonder if it was from a third-party manufacturer making hardware to match commodore stuff?

If not, this is an impressive matchup!
Yes, it is an Aussie ad.

I believe the monitor is a Sony one.
It has a Trinitron screen which is curved in the horizontal plane and is flat in the vertical plane. The name badge at the bottom of the screen looks like it could say 'Sony', though it is really not readable.

I have never seen this style of monitor, however, I did have a Sony monitor with my C-64 many years ago which was dark grey, but did have some styling features like the monitor in the picture, especially the speaker grille.
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

That monitor is a thing of beauty. Is there a bigger scan of that ad? I'd love to see more detail. :)
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

The monitor, kid, and ad are great... except for the business man with his greedy hands cupped like that!! Is he looking for you to hand him your ca$h, or is he reaching out to grab your ba... :shock:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing