I got a big box in the mail on friday..

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

I got a big box in the mail on friday..

Post by Luzur »

didnt find a "what did you buy today" kinda thread, so... :?

tore open the box and and in my hands i finally held this:

i have now offically joined the "VC-1020 owners club", and i got Boray to thank for it, since it was the picture of his VIC-20 setup that got me on the trail of one of these puppies. :D

need to test it though, if i dont work tomorrow i will hook it up with some carts to check it.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Nice find!

I have one sort of like that but its just solid brown. I think the schools here used to use them so they could bolt down the machines to stop them from growing legs.

Yours should have a cartridge port expander whereas the brown ones were just for locking up the machines and I dont think they came with anything other than keys. At least mine didnt have any extras.

Nice to have the official vic20 one for sure. Nice!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's the last and only item I would really consider adding to my VIC-20 collection. Been looking for one for years. Where did you find one...and in such a nice condition?

Also, I notice that the ones that come up on Ebay lately are the VC-1020's (German version). Nice score on the VIC-1020 (non-German version)!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I believe Luzur picked up a Finn on the Lemon64 forum... err, not literally. :P

While the 1020 is a cool expansion, I also find it awfully impractical. How on Earth are you supposed to switch between the cartridges installed, if you have a monitor on top of the box and no switches on the outside? Did I miss something?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

That's the last and only item I would really consider adding to my VIC-20 collection. Been looking for one for years. Where did you find one...and in such a nice condition?

Also, I notice that the ones that come up on Ebay lately are the VC-1020's (German version). Nice score on the VIC-1020 (non-German version)!
a Finn was selling it on lemon64, as Carlsson said. according to the label it was made in W.Germany and have the serial no. 12010.

to bad though that the VIC20 i plugged in is american though, the power cable doesnt fit so i have to use my boxed PAL VIC20 to test it.

carlsson wrote:I believe Luzur picked up a Finn on the Lemon64 forum... err, not literally. :P

While the 1020 is a cool expansion, I also find it awfully impractical. How on Earth are you supposed to switch between the cartridges installed, if you have a monitor on top of the box and no switches on the outside? Did I miss something?
hehe, yeah did some serious "dating" as soon as i saw his sell thread, funny enough no one was interested in it over there.

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

carlsson wrote:I believe Luzur picked up a Finn on the Lemon64 forum... err, not literally. :P

Yes, it actually is a terrible design from a functional standpoint (removing the monitor each time you need to change cartridges)!

It looks really cool though - making the VIC look somthing like a PET.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

(removing the monitor each time you need to change cartridges)!
Aaaaah, but you need only one cartridge ... :wink:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

:D

I don't have a monitor on it. I would say it's not a monitor holder, but more of a cartridge port expander and metal dustcover / storage box that looks cool ;) and the lid of the box serves as a place for books, notes, disks and things while you are working with the vic. Right now I have the whole setup covered by old newspapers for sun and dust protection, and on top of the vic-1020's lid is my digital camera and 7 CDs... On top of the 1541 is some cables and on top of the datasette is some papers and 3 bags of "nötkräm".
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Luzur wrote:to bad though that the VIC20 i plugged in is american though, the power cable doesnt fit so i have to use my boxed PAL VIC20 to test it.
Err.. which end of the power cable goes into the VIC?

Or maybe you made the mistake thinking that a two-prong 9V, early VIC-20 equals American model while a DIN-style, later VIC-20CR is an European one? I can assure you that is completely wrong, both models exist in both PAL and NTSC versions.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

rhurst wrote:
I know what you mean :wink:

I've just one cartridge plugged on my vic from about 18 months...
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

carlsson wrote:
Luzur wrote:to bad though that the VIC20 i plugged in is american though, the power cable doesnt fit so i have to use my boxed PAL VIC20 to test it.
Err.. which end of the power cable goes into the VIC?

Or maybe you made the mistake thinking that a two-prong 9V, early VIC-20 equals American model while a DIN-style, later VIC-20CR is an European one? I can assure you that is completely wrong, both models exist in both PAL and NTSC versions.
that is the exact mistake i made. :x

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Some high res photos of the interior circuit board would be appreciated for the Denial Wiki article on the VIC-1020.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

ral-clan wrote:Some high res photos of the interior circuit board would be appreciated for the Denial Wiki article on the VIC-1020.
sure, im not a professional photographer :)

EDIT: well after some 4-5 pics i think i got a satisfactory pic of the circuit board.

is it okay?

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Thanks. I'll update the article with that nice photo.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

rhurst wrote:
. . . and you will need to remove the monitor every time you want to press the little button on that cartridge. :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.