Best way to display your Vic Cartridges.

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Best way to display your Vic Cartridges.

Post by Barney »

Well, I have a question everybody. I have been collecting Vic-20 Cartridges for about 4 years now. I have all but about 40. The sad thing is that it bothers me to have them stashed away in a box. I want to find an awesome way to display them. One idea I had was to somehow cover my entire wall in my office with Vic-20 Carts. I'm talking the entire wall covered in Vic cartridges....that would be awesome. Anybody out there have a way to fasten them to the wall without damaging the cart? Does anybody have pictures of how they display their cartridges? Please let me know.

Barney
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I use Billy bookcases from Ikea for a lot of my collection...

I need to retake this shot, it's a bit out of date now...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

This is the storage system for my cartridge collection. :wink:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

@6502dude

Dude - Awesome lot of carts! I want a collection as big as that!
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I think bookcases are the way to go. The cart boxes rarely stand well on their own and fixing them to the wall might break the cohesion of a collection. I presume you have a few unboxed as well (I think most folk do!). If so, I would use bookends to hold a few carts to the sides of the shelves leaving the middle part empty. Then I would place some of the nice unboxed carts at jaunty angles to help flatter the boxed ones. That's the way I would do it anyway. :)

@ Vic20-Ian: You're right, that is an awesome lot of carts there. Maybe thats the best way to store them. I suppose I'll find out soon enough! BTW: Did you get around to ordering one? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Keep your nice cart boxes away from any windows allowing in direct sunlight though. I've seen colours fade in only a few months.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Nice collection!!!!. I have that same bookshelf from IKEA that I use for DVD's. I need to go back down and get another one.

Barney
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I use cabinets like these:

Only problem is that I would need more space, those could be higher. Anyway cabinets help with dust problem.
[/img]
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

There is only one problem. It seems that these type of cabinets are good for displaying boxes and cassetes but they are not good for displaying cartridges. As you know, most cartridges don't even have a sticker except for the front face, so displaying sideways will not work. I am looking for a way to display my cartridges so that the main sticker is displayed. I have well over 250 cartridges. I am looking for a way to have each of them literally cover an entire wall. I was initially thinking velcro, but the sticky glue would destroy the cartridge itself. Any ideas on this?

Barnehy
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Please don't use one of those label maker guns from the 70s. 50% of VIC 20 carts I find in the wild are plagued by those tacky labels!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

If you mean to display bare carts (no boxes), you could glue them to a piece of furniture, as this guy did with cassette tapes:

This would make them impossible to use, of course.
As an alternative, I would suggest to use one or more wall display racks, like this:

With patience, you can find one with the proper space to display e.g. two rows of cartridges in each shelf, in order to cover all the wall with them.
Jeff-20 wrote:Please don't use one of those label maker guns from the 70s. 50% of VIC 20 carts I find in the wild are plagued by those tacky labels!
Mine too :oops: .
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, I've found a fair few with those labels on as well.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I was thinking first that he did mean carts only to wall, but then we start talk about bookcase etc. But would some kind of adhesive tape work.. There is those that have two parts that you stick to two different objects and it can keep those together, some are used at clothes. Or somekind of plastic spouts that could hold carts at wall. Maybe wood bars.. You culd put those to wall to lines and carts top of them..

Or maybe you get MegaCart for use and put every cart to wall behind glass.. It would keep those also dust free 8)

I wanna see picture when you have wall full of Vic carts.. 8)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I'm still unclear whether Barney means the actual cartridges, or cartridge boxes when he talks about sticking cartridges to the wall.

Either way, a little ledge made of wood (like chair rail or wainscotting moulding might work. Also, clear fishing line tied to a screw in the wall and then wound around the corners of the cartridge or box will hold it there (hard to describe). The screw head is hidden by the cartridge or box, and four loops come from it and wrap around the corners. You'd have to play with this idea to get it to work, but it wouldn't harm the cartridge/box at all.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Jeff-20 wrote:Please don't use one of those label maker guns from the 70s. 50% of VIC 20 carts I find in the wild are plagued by those tacky labels!
At one time, the Dynamo labellers were the only solution for DIY labeling.
I used to see home brew equipment all the time with remnants of these labels.
Once these stuck on, they were very difficult to remove from metal or plastic surfaces.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20