Scanning in the VIC-1001 User's Manual

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

i could maybe chip in a few quid if needed. However, I am acquainted with a woman who works with ancient greek texts and the like and I'm sure she's spoken about scanning old papers in the past. I won't see her until later in the week but I will ask if she has access to the approriate equipment if you like. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Bump.

I'm still eager to get this manual scanned in. Does anyone have any other ideas, or are enough people willing to chip in a few bucks that we could get it scanned by the pros?
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

If you want it done right, the spine has to come off. Honestly the book is not worth 1/8th of what you were quoted for scanning.

DLH would, in all likelihood, scan it for free...

If it is important to archive the information, send it to him. I cannot see paying someone to do a half-ass job. There is no way to get a good scan without damaging the spine....
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Schema wrote:Bump.

I'm still eager to get this manual scanned in. Does anyone have any other ideas, or are enough people willing to chip in a few bucks that we could get it scanned by the pros?
So, how about using a regular 8 megapixel or higher camera? You would have to set it up on a tripod and properly light it, but it could be done.
An 8x10 page at 300dpi is about 7.2 megapixels (black and white).

Steve
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

My previous offer has gone down the tubes now that I've moved job and town...and I forgot to say in this thread. Sorry. :oops:

As far as offering a few quid to get this scanned, that still stands. Although, Dragos is probably right in suggesting DLH. I think Goran knows him, maybe it's worth an ask?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3