Vic Computing Magazine?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Vic Computing Magazine?

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Are there any scans of this mag anywhere? I saw a few of the mags on eBay a couple of weeks ago but I was at work and missed the auction...I have a sneaking suspicion that the winning bidder is here abouts somewhere... :)

Any pointers would be appreciated. I've had a look around but have had no luck so far.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I'm working on getting a complete set from someone for scanning and adding to the archive. I'll let you know when that happens.

For those that don't know, there were twelve issues of VIC Computing published between October 1981 and August 1983 and then the magazine changed its name to Commodore User for the next issue (which was released in October 1983).
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Looking forward to that. Thanks :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

A complete set? I'd be impressed... I'm missing two issues myself, #2 and #12 (aka 1.2 and 2.6). I keep an eye out for them occasionally. Was going to scan them in myself once I have the full set...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Yeah, I know. They never seem to turn up anywhere and I don't think many people have even heard of it. But you never know, maybe someone has them all sitting in the back of a cupboard and they'll turn up for pennies on eBay. :)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Mayhem wrote:A complete set? I'd be impressed...
That's what they tell me. I've only ever read two issues myself so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. Fingers crossed. We're very close to having every issue of every magazine. That's the goal.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

I have got the following mags:

1981: Dec
1982: Feb, Apr, Jun, Oct
1983: Feb, Mar, Aug
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well you've got the two issues I still need Bo. I guess there's no chance of prizing them from your grasp? ;)

I do have a few spare issues, not sure which ones offhand though.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

I´d really hate to sell off non duplicate items, but some sort of trade may be possible. It all depends on what you´ve got that I really want :-)
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'll see if any of the spares I have are in the four you still need for starters. Then there are tapes of course heh...
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

gklinger wrote:I'm working on getting a complete set from someone for scanning and adding to the archive. I'll let you know when that happens.

For those that don't know, there were twelve issues of VIC Computing published between October 1981 and August 1983 and then the magazine changed its name to Commodore User for the next issue (which was released in October 1983).
so it is the pre commodore user... i didnt know that :)
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Perseus
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Perseus »

I'm going to risk getting a lot of flak for this necro-bump, but it seems more than worthwhile to try and preserve what remains of Vic Computing magazine. Until this thread, I'd never even heard of it. Was any progress made in scanning this magazine? Perhaps someone would be kind enough to donate some web-space to house an archive; or, perhaps, put what remains up on the computer magazine section of archive.org. I'm sure the entire vic community would benefit.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Perseus wrote:or, perhaps, put what remains up on the computer magazine section of archive.org.
I believe archive.org have a team that do the scanning in a standard way, so the magazines would have to be sent to them. If I'm wrong my apologies.
Perseus
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Perseus »

If that's the case, Kweepa, perhaps it would be best to store the magazines in an area related to the forums. I have only been able to find _one_ (v.1 n.3) scanned issue. Hopefully, others will have more.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Vic Computing Magazine?

Post by vicist »

......and 4 years later :shock:

There are now 6 issues available here...
Last edited by vicist on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.