Just noticed something new about Japanese made VIC-20s.

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Just noticed something new about Japanese made VIC-20s.

Post by ral-clan »

Hey!

I just noticed a small, but neat physical detail concerning the early VIC-20 with the PET style keyboard. (These are the VIC-20s that were made in Japan and the same probably applies to the VIC-1001 - can anybody check?)

The white plastic case of my early Japanese made VIC-20 is perfectly smooth. All later ones that I own (USA and CANADA made) have a granular, sandy embossed texture on the white plastic. I compared them very closely, but that was the only difference I could see.

This corresponds with the difference of the original VIC-1540 and the (white) VIC-1541. The former has smooth plastic, while the latter has a slight sandy embossed texture.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I noticed the same difference exists between my 2-pronged Vic and newer Vic. Also, the two-pronged Vic I have is "Taller" than the newer Vic when they're sitting beside each other.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's weird. I compared my two prong VIC with my DIN VIC and they both were had granular textures. The 2-prong had less evident embossing than the DIN VIC, but it was still there. Whereas the Japanese PET key VIC was absolutely smooth (as glass). No granularity at all.

What's also weird is that you say that your 2-prong is taller than your DIN. I think a few years ago we (here) did a comparison, and found the opposite (there is a thread here somewhere). The DIN VIC (which is the Cost Reduced VIC), uses the same mould as the C64, while the earlier VIC's used their own, original mould for the plastic cases. But maybe the size difference is the other way 'round and I'm mis-remembering.

2-prong on left, CR/DIN VIC on right in image above.

The other difference you should see between 2-prong VICs and original VICs is the presence of a "dimple" above the cartridge port on the later ones. This is further proof that they were using a modified C64 case mould, because this dimple corresponds to the place where the RF RCA output would be on a real C64.

Last edited by ral-clan on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

To further cloud the matter, 64s come in two heights as well so it can't just be a chronological thing. I much prefer the shorter models and it took me a while to make sure that both my 64 an VIC-20 (and backups of each) were the right kind and in the right condition.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Just for the record my 2 prong VIC has a slight granular effect too. So that's at least 5 different casings?

1. Smooth finsih, no dimple
2. Grainy finsih, no dimple
3. Taller casing
4. Grainier finish, dimpled
5. Shorter casing

I wonder if there are others that are variants of the above...I only have 2 VIC's, both exactly the same. Does anybody have a few to compare? It would be interesting to see. :)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I don't think points 3 and 5 are exclusive of the rest though. So I wouldn't classify them as separate case types.

Unfortunately, the grainy texture is very difficult to post in photographs. It's very fine, and JPEG compression helps erase it.

DigitalQuirk, could you confirm whether or not your 2-prong VIC is actually smooth as glass (no trace of granular texture at all)?
Last edited by ral-clan on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

It is not smooth as glass; but it is very noticeably smoother than my CR Vic 20. A close inspection of the 2 prong Vic 20 reveals a very slight texture.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

DigitalQuirk wrote:It is not smooth as glass; but it is very noticeably smoother than my CR Vic 20. A close inspection of the 2 prong Vic 20 reveals a very slight texture.
Okay, that would be the same as my (non Japanese) 2-prong VIC's then. It's smoother than my later CR/Rainbow VICs, but not as smooth as the Japanese made one with PET keys. Your's is probably not Japanese made either, eh?

When I put the Japanese made one with PET keys beside it, the difference is clear....absolutely not the slightest trace of texture on the Japanese one.

Here's my theory:

1. Japanese made 2-prong VICs/VIC-1001's with PET keys: no texture at all.
2. Early N. American made 2-prong VICs without PET keys: light texture
3. Late model CR VICs with DIN power plug and rainbow logo: very noticable granular texture, like early C64s.
Last edited by ral-clan on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Your theory sounds fair enough to me. I think it's probably the same for european VIC's. I remember first getting my 2 prong VIC and actually thinking it was smoother feeling than I remembered my old CR VIC. :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I saw one of the original PET keyboard VICs on e-bay a few weeks ago. It went for about £800.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

English Invader wrote:I saw one of the original PET keyboard VICs on e-bay a few weeks ago. It went for about £800.
That is absolutely insane. Seriously.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Maybe it's just the PAL CR model that is smaller then?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

gklinger wrote:
English Invader wrote:I saw one of the original PET keyboard VICs on e-bay a few weeks ago. It went for about £800.
That is absolutely insane. Seriously.
£799.99 was the stipulated Buy It Now price. It's no longer there so it must have been either sold or withdrawn. I find it hard to believe that someone would even want to sell such an item.