Is There a 'Complete' List of VIC Games?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Is There a 'Complete' List of VIC Games?

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I know there is the Digital Archeology site that contains loads of cart info but is there anywhere that has a comprehensive list of VIC games on tape and disc? Is VICTapes.ORG the best there is? I presume there wasn't many games released on disc for the VIC but I'm not sure how many games were released on tape (around 1000?)

As an aside; how complete is GB20? Anybody got any info? :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Aside from a bunch of stuff that Bo owns and a fistful of magazine listings, I think GB20 currently has everything known out there. Current standing: 1563 game entries!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

1563? Wow, that's about 50% more than I thought! That's a lot of lovely games I don't know about...

Maybe we should use all your hard work on GB20 to build a sister site to Denial similar to the Gamebase 64 site? Would that be possible, at all? It may help to draw in some new blood to the VIC world... :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am perfectly willing to expand Denial to include any and all VIC 20 related content.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

A gamebase Vic20 page complete with screen captures would be a thing of beauty and certainly worthy of the 5 years of work that Mayhem and others have put into this project.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The Denial Wiki is of course intended to be a repository for EVERYTHING VIC related.

A list of all cartridges has been made for the WIKI, and slowly we are linking from each title in the list to individual WIKI articles on each specific game, with pictures, review, instructions for that game.

The same can be done for cassette games...There are already articles for several tape games, and I think someone has started a rough article which is meant to grow to become a list of all cassette games (of course, each title will link to info about that game and the publisher, etc.)

I don't really see the need of re-inventing the wheel with yet another information repository linked to Denial when the WIKI is so flexible and can already serve that purpose.

And of course, the great thing about the WIKI is that ANYONE can add to it at any time. With a more centralized project, the "leader" or administrator of the database can get burned-out and the project can come to a crashing halt (I've seen it happen several times before). This can't happen wth the Denial WIKI.

(none of the above is meant to slur GameBase 20. I think that database is great and has its place. I just don't see the need to make ANOTHER database Besides GB20 and the Denial WIKI).
Last edited by ral-clan on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Can we somehow merge the information?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I don't really see it as re-inventing the wheel but more of adding stabilisers to something when the extant wheels are a bit wobbly! :P

I don't think there is any comparison in the display of information and friendly accessiblity of Gamebase 64 and the dry, if concise, delivery of the C64 wiki. I feel both have a place in the world and neither really treads on the toes of the other.

One is colourful, graphical and is totally game orientated. The other is a totally encapsulating compilation of information and literature on the computer as a whole.

I am not knocking the wiki but it isn't the most accessible site for the 'friendly computer'. Most people coming back to or, indeed, discovering an old system (I concede this is anecdotal and presumptious!) do it through games. A site showing screenies of games with images of covers and links to games is a world away from a text orientated central database fo all things VIC. My dad couldn't care less about PSU's and BASIC but he does really want to go back and play Rockman from Mastertronic... :)

EDIT: The main reason I started this post was to ask Mayhem; Do you know (roughly!) the break down of the games in tapes, carts and disks, at all? Just curious
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

There's tons of type-ins probably... and one disk game. Aside from that there's about 180 odd cartridges and the rest are commercial tapes. However many that is...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Mayhem wrote:one disk game
One disk game? Title, please :D
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I have no problem with GB20. It sounds great. I just was thinking that since both the WIKI and GB20 exist, there's no reason for yet ANOTHER similar project when resources could be pooled to the two existing ones.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Don't worry about it; it's only embarrassing to make a mistake after correcting someone else's spelling. ;)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Possibly a Gamebase can contain links to Wiki articles in case people want to expand on the story behind games more than the fixed format in the database listing. I agree a Wiki isn't quite searchable in the same way e.g. Gamebase64 is.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

carlsson wrote:Possibly a Gamebase can contain links to Wiki articles in case people want to expand on the story behind games more than the fixed format in the database listing. I agree a Wiki isn't quite searchable in the same way e.g. Gamebase64 is.
That's kind of my thinking. There's no reason why links couldn't tie everything together into a cohesive whole. The forum, wiki and game database could all have links on the Denial main page (2 out of 3 are there already!). I'm aware that I may be naive here but I think it could only be good for the community.

Now that I've said that I have no idea how to make a website (let the flames begin! :P) but I am more than willing to help out in any mundane tasks such as data entry, list compiling, error-checking and the like. I want to give something to the world of the VIC but, alas, I'm talentless! Would anybody be interested in taking GB20, when it's released and making a site? Or should I just buy a book and make a start!?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

orion70 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:one disk game
One disk game? Title, please :D
Volcano Blast by ALA Software. No idea if they released any of their other games on disk, it's the only one I've come across.