What's the best VIC peripheral?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I was just looking at my nifty VIC paddles, they are the flat versions, very different from the Atari 2600 paddles. I'd like them more if I didn't suspect they were created for the 64.

I even have the center button joysticks. They are much better than the 2600 joystick for the button, but the triangular shaft brings it down a bit.

I was just wondering. What do you think was the best peripheral for the VIC?

You can justify it as the hardware or accessory you enjoyed the most OR the one that you found the most useful.

I am thinking of:

the tape drive?
disk drive?
VicMon cart?
Printer?
the Votrax type-n-talk (which I never got to try out!)?

Is there something else I am missing?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

• Most required: the RF modulator, as without it I would have needed a composite monitor already in the 80:ties to see some output
  • Most versatile: switchable memory expansion - the more, the better
  • Most overlooked: floppy drive - even today, some people believe the VIC is not capable of accessing a disk drive because they never could afford one in the old days
  • Most technically advanced: VIC-REL, a user port expansion with a number (eight?) of relays where you can connect all sorts of electronic systems and use the VIC as a burglar alarm, timer etc
  • Most fun: hmm.. not sure. I never owned a light pen (Chris/Vic User can fill me out here), but I guess there is a novelty value in one of those.
  • Most liked by hackers: any reset button - either it is connected to the user port, the IEC port or cartridge port
As you see, I'm not capable of choosing one thing on the top of the other.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I like the way Anders went about replying to the question.

It sure is hard to come up with one add on that beats them all for me.

If I had to pick just one and nothing else, I would always pick a cassette drive, just because of my perception of it being the most reliable way of storing porgrams, and the cheapest method as well.

My most productive for me would be memory expansion, no doubt. As mentioned earlier, I am a sloppy programmer and have not mended my ways, and thus need all the memory I can get sometimes.

When I found a mint condtion 1541 II drive in the garbage, two winters ago, I was hoping that vic 20 could use it, and of course it could, and getting a floppy drive really save lots of time.

I really like the quality I get using a commodore monitor, and hope I never have to go back to using a TV, but I consider the monitor a luxury peripheral, more than a must have.

My most anticipated add on, is a 40/80 column cart that should be arriving in the mail any day now. I was hoping it would arrive before the holiday weekend, so I could fiddle with it on my time off, but no dice. I really want to try the vic 20 out in 40 column mode. I am assuming that these higher displays will only let me have b&w, but maybe I am wrong. If it is the case, then I will use it on a wonky vic I have, which only displays in shades of grey now :)

The light pen I have works very well, and I was happy I did not have to adjust the brightness on the monitor. The manual and software included with the light pen, are so bad it is not funny. Really surprised, because the company (cardco) wrote an incredible manual for their expansion cart bay I have.

The only thing I hate about a light pen, is that I have to lean over to touch the monitor all the time, and thus I want to split the video signal and send one to a small tv near where I sit, with the screen facing up to the ceiling, and then I can use the light pen and tv like a graphics tablet in a way.

I do like the light pen for menu driven stuff, but I still have a long way to go to getting to do excactly what i want it to do. just need to sit down with it more.

chris
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

I like the cassette drive just because people scoff at the idea of tapes to save proggies. Memory expansion is cool when you're exploring a new type of project and don't wanna worry about how much room you have.

I think I would be lost without the paddles.
And I do have a pair in a 'VIC-20 box' - so they were made before the c64. But my favorite pair is from Sears (which is shaped identically to the Atari ones but with different graphics).

I remember seeing that 40/80 column periph but it just made me want a PET/CBM more instead.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

carlsson wrote:
  • Most technically advanced: VIC-REL, a user port expansion with a number (eight?) of relays where you can connect all sorts of electronic systems and use the VIC as a burglar alarm, timer etc.
I have one of these. Yes, it's eight relay outputs and two inputs.

It's not really that advanced, I took the cover off mine to see :-) It's just some relays, LEDs, and a few components to protect the user port. Commodore made the user port very easy to connect I/O to. But I agree, it is a very cool concept.

Another useful (but much more low tech) accessory is a fitted dust cover made specifically for the VIC (and C64). My one and only original VIC is still in pristine shape, 20 years later.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

yes! I also have the fitted and labeled VIC cover! I love that thing and use it faithfully.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

From time to time, there still seems to be some interest from small industry or home scientists to get hold of a VIC-20 to interface with other equipment. I've been asked once to sell my VIC to one of those. In this context, the bigger C64 is not as attractive, as it has more complex timing and thus may need more programming to fully interface 24/7.
Anders Carlsson

Leeeeee

Post by Leeeeee »

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Wow!

That is super cool!

I am very envious of what you can do.

Chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yeah. Have you uploaded a VIC-20 driver to 3Com's download area? :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What the . . . !?
Leeeeee

Post by Leeeeee »

carlsson wrote:Have you uploaded a VIC-20 driver to 3Com's download area? :lol:
I don't think they'd believe it!

I've also got an FM tuner card and, of course, a COM/LPT card to try in the ISA slot.

Lee.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Let's see.. you could connect a simple parallel port scanner (but on the other hand, maybe you could interface it directly to the user port) and try to write some software to get images from it. I assume most 8-bit sound cards require DMA so not possible with your expansion?
Anders Carlsson

Leeeeee

Post by Leeeeee »

Most 8 bit sound cards only require DMA for playing sound samples, you can make a lot of sounds just using the FM synth chips on them.

There's a lot of cards that could be used with just a little more complexity in the interface. The hardest thing to do would be DMA but that could be made easier by restricting it to expansion RAM.

Lee.
Mikam73
2049er

Re: What's the best VIC peripheral?

Post by Mikam73 »

Leeeeee wrote:This is the best. 8^)=

http://www.themotionstore.com/leeedavison/6502/vic20/

Lee.
Amazing.. :D I just love your Vic20 webserver.. :D

And I was thinking that ethernet card to C64 was incredible..

What else you can do with Vic20 ethernet? Can you surf webpages?

I guess memory just isnt enought.. :(