Gamebase20 version 2!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Welcome... comments are always appreciated ;)

1) Normal one file games, or multiload disk transfers are directly available from the PLAY GAME button. Any original transfers (TAPs, CARTs etc) are linked into the EXTRAS button. This follows the pattern used by Gamebase64 (which I'm also a part of) so it's partly historic heh. Blame them :P

2) If you have a game file and it's not already in there, by all means PM or email me about it. Work is a constant progress to add new things in for the next release. Likewise if you know who published a game, when a game was release or who programmed a game if it's missing. So don't feel like you're pestering me... if anything I've not had ENOUGH feedback since to provide new material!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Very cool, all VIC games sorted and simply available!

My entry for the wishlist ist automatically generating FE3 config data or if not possible a field to enter config data.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have gamebase on my hard drive, but I don't use the database part of it. I just use PRG Starter to double click the files of course! :)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Boray wrote:I have gamebase on my hard drive, but I don't use the database part of it. I just use PRG Starter to double click the files of course! :)
Your post gives me an idea to merge both project, I will test my idea...
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Mayhem wrote:Welcome... comments are always appreciated ;)

1) Normal one file games, or multiload disk transfers are directly available from the PLAY GAME button. Any original transfers (TAPs, CARTs etc) are linked into the EXTRAS button. This follows the pattern used by Gamebase64 (which I'm also a part of) so it's partly historic heh. Blame them :P

Hmm...I don't understand. What does 'original transfers' mean?? Does 'multiload disk transfers' refer to games that load in multiple parts. I'm confused I guess.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Ignoring cartridges, 99.99% of other Vic20 games were released on tape only. We've found one original disk so far in our travels, although there might be more. With this in mind...

A one-file dump of the game is usually contained as a PRG. If a game is multiload on tape, some enterprising people have altered the code so that the parts could be transferred to disk and load from there instead. This is what I meant by "multiload disk transfer". Both these types are what are available to play through the PLAY GAME button.

Original transfers refer to exact, uncracked dumps of the media in question. For cartridges this means a dump of the chips put in a format that emulators can understand (usually CRT). For tapes this means a transfer into TAP format via such programs as MTAP or TAPSERV. These are what are available to play through the EXTRAS button.

Part of that EXTRA inclusion is "service" to people who wish to play games as they were originally released, plus they can transfer the dumps back to media in case their own has deteriorated. Many of the tapes available to play are ONLY available in TAP format because no one has sought to extract them from the original dump and make them to a standard as noted above in the second paragraph.

Hope that explains why there is a divide between the two sides. If people wish to rip TAPs into PRGs or multiload disks, then I will add them to the project whenever... I don't really have the tech nous to do that most of the time.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Mayhem wrote:Ignoring cartridges, 99.99% of other Vic20 games were released on tape only. We've found one original disk so far in our travels, although there might be more. With this in mind...
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like they would have had to actually modifiy the source code of the multi load tape game to get it to load from disk instead of tape. Enterprising indeed! But thats so awesome people would take the time to do that, and the gamebase20 tool as well.

I love this forum and community. I have finally found my people. I feel like the bee girl at the end of the 'no rain' video ;)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Here there are some my old TAPE 2 DISK works:

Tape2disk 1
Tape2disk 2
Salmon Run Disk

Mayhem has a lot of my other tap 2 prg/d64 Fix work on his gamebase20 too of course.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

updates for gamebase 20

Post by llcameron »

Looking through my collection of games I have quite a few that aren't included in the gamebase20. Can I just email the .prg directly to you Mayhem?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yes, emailing me directly is fine. If you have credit details for the games (publisher, year, programmer etc) then please send them too.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Mayhem wrote:Yes, emailing me directly is fine. If you have credit details for the games (publisher, year, programmer etc) then please send them too.
whats your email?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Try the email button below his post maybe.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Currently on the to-do list, if anyone can assist, that would be good...

- fix Defenda TAP to work in Vice 2.x
- fix King's Ransom TAP to work in Vice 2.x
- produce a 100% PRG version of Defenda (current version corrupts the landscape until you lose a life)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

If you want I may try, send me files.
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

converting to prg files

Post by llcameron »

I guess I'm still confused about how to get a game on the 'play game' button, and out of the 'extras' button. Do you need to load the TAP and then maybe mount a d64 file and save it to the disk? I'm guessing thats it. Maybe a howto on just how to do this might be useful, because I see there are lots of games on the 'extras' button that I would be glad to help volunteer some time to move out.