Is Shamus really THAT rare?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Is Shamus really THAT rare?

Post by eslapion »

When J. Compton and some other gentleman I don't remember the name of after the WoC event, in the basement of the Stay Inn hotel, I was told that one of them had problems playing Shamus in the past because it always crashed. It also caused problems with the Behr-Bonz cart.

Shamus is not one of my favorite games, but I enjoyed playing it when I was a kid. I didn't have the original cart, of course, I played a copy from a modified memory expansion and loaded it from tape.

Recently, I just looked on eBay and found only one original Shamus cart. It sells for 99.99$ US and that's a "Buy it Now!" sale.

Over the years, I was donated a lot of stuff for the VIC who's original owners found useless. Among which was piles of unused carts for the VIC and in there, one original cart of Shamus which works fine. The original cart case was badly damaged and so I put the board in the case of a faulty cart and took off the sticker.

My question to you all is quite simple. Is Shamus really that rare that it justifies charging 100$ for it? If so then, my own Shamus cart is definitely for sale.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

The guy selling it has been watching Worldlams auction asking prices too much :lol:

Digitpress appears down for a rarity from my work anyways but I would guess a 6 or 7 rarity (10 being most rare) would be my guess.

I would say $8 would be a fair price for it. The one I had came in original box and instructions and I think I paid $10.00 to $15.00 complete off ebay sometime ago.

It'll come around again on ebay...maybe someone here has an extra one for you?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I agree with Centallica. It's not that rare. I have one and I've seen it before online for more reasonable prices (and might have traded extra copies in the past).
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The DP Online guide is offline currently due to technical issues (too long to explain). I believe I've currently got Shamus listed as a 5, I'd have to consult my spreadsheet to make sure. I agree, it's not easy to find, but not that hard, I've got a complete spare at the moment myself...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I thought it was even more common than that. No matter what, it is a very fine game, well worth a place on the VIC-20 Top 15 in my opinion. The graphics flicker a bit, but what can you expect from all software sprites?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

You think 99$ for a Shamus Cartridge is bad, sombody has choplifter selling for 99$ on ebay. People are idiotic trying to get that price for a common cartridge.

Barney
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Barney wrote:...People are idiotic trying to get that price for a common cartridge.

Barney
Not if they get it! :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Very True. At that point, the buyer becomes the idiot.

Barney
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

Barney wrote:Very True. At that point, the buyer becomes the idiot.

Barney
Not if they really wanted it! :lol: Then it is win-win for everyone, except the the next buyer who has to deal with a seller that thinks everything they have is worth $$$. :evil:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

There are always deals to be found. One must be vigilant and patient.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.