plays wooden flutes

Unarchived cartridges?

Post by ral-clan »

A few years ago the following VIC cartridges were sold on Ebay:

- Frogman (Spears the Sharks)
- Mario's Brewery
- BlackJack
- BlockBuster

These were all published by OEM software. They came in simple black plastic cartridges with flourescent orange labels.

The lot ended at a high price. I grabbed the picture from the auction, so I have proof it exists, but I don't recall any of them as downloadable ROM image.

I think this the same company that published SPACE-RIC-O-SHAY and maybe TANK ATTACK.

This is a big hole in the cartridge list (in fact, these titles don't even show up on the any list, I think). Also, these would be great to add to the multi-cart.

Let me know if this link to my Yahoo Photos works:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wooden ... ?.dir=14fc

It's supposed to be public....
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cheers for the pictures. Blackjack has been in the Vic20 cart list for Digital Press for a long while (as far back as Ward's time I believe), but Mario's Brewery and BlockBuster were added by myself as rumour mill entries not so long ago as I saw them in an OEM catalog. I guess that means I'll slide them over to official now!

As for Frogman, two more copies have appeared on eBay since that time (if none of the others so I've seen); I got one of them and I know the guy who got the other (he's also on DP). When I move and unpack, Frogman will be top of the list to dump out.

OEM released most of their stuff on Vic20 and C64 together, though there are a few descrepancies. If you want to see their C64 output, I believe I currently own everything of theirs... http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/mcp.htm

You know, I do actually remember that huge OEM auction but it was before I started collecting for the Vic20. Only by a couple of months, as then my brother's gf found a Vic20 in her loft and offered it to me for free. And that's how I got into the machine. I really wish looking back I'd bid on the auction cos I think I could have won it :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

You are kidding right Mayhem? I know I told you about Alberts (from atari age) purchase of that huge lot on ebay of the oem titles. I would be surprised if you havent talked to him about dumping these.

I still have the saved auction and pictures here somewhere. These are the OEM titles I have seen and have added to my list at http://www.c64buytrade.com/Vic20_Want_List.html

Alien Sidestep........................ [ ]
Amazing Maze.......................... [ ]
Black Jack............................ [ ]
Block Buster.......................... [ ]
Bug Crusher........................... [ ]
Dot Gobbler........................... [x]
Frogman............................... [ ]
Marios Brewery........................ [ ]
Space Ric-O-Shay...................... [ ]
Tank Wars............................. [x]

These all exist if only in Alberts collection now. At the time they were auctioned, the buy it now was $400. I kick myself harshly these days for not just buying the lot. Albert came in before the auction ended and privately bought them from the guy. There was also some wierd ram carts and a couple other things I havent seen since that auction. BTW, that lot was sold twice on ebay. The guy that sold the lot to Albert originally bought the whole lot on ebay himself.

Brent: I may have contributed the pictures of the OEM cart lot to the yahoo group you used to run. The cd project one. Maybe the pics are still there. I havent been there in along time but I do remember uploading all my vic20 cart pics to that group for the project.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Thanks for jogging my memory there... I do recall you mentioning that. I think I did ask Albert. I'd have to check. Maybe he wasn't in a position to dump them. Given I am (sort of) he might lend them out, I have been on AA for over 5 years and he does "know" me (though we've never met).

I have all the OEM titles apart from 4, three we've been discussing and Space Ric-o-shay. Perhaps I can see what I can do about asking again, I'll have to go back through my old messages to see if it's still there.

Did the auction finish on $500 or so?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I used to have Mario's Brewery for the c64. I traded it to one of the Digital Press guys for a few vic 20 carts at a party here in Chicago. I really wanted to get rid of my 64 stuff back then because I was running out of space. Now I wish I had held on to it. I was young and my naivety to collecting was really exploited back then.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I have Space Ric-O-Shay. I thought it had already been archived. I'd really like to see these OEM carts archived. They are the last big holes I can think of. Also, it would be nice to see them archived in time for inclusion on the multi-cart.

It's really too bad people haven't archived the few that survive, as a lot of these OEM cartridges are on EPROMs and might not be functional in another 10 years.

Is it just a lack of know-how, or are the owners reluctant to dump them so that the value will stay high? It has been pretty much proven that even though games have been archived (i.e. Ultima Drash) the Ebay value still stays very high on rare items.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Years ago when I was organizing all my scans, I made an OEM folder and in it I made sub folders for all the games. For some reason I have these (empty) folder created in my OEM folder:

- Cat Burglar
- Fire Fighter

Maybe these are games they made?
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Mayhem wrote:Thanks for jogging my memory there... I do recall you mentioning that. I think I did ask Albert. I'd have to check. Maybe he wasn't in a position to dump them. Given I am (sort of) he might lend them out, I have been on AA for over 5 years and he does "know" me (though we've never met).

I have all the OEM titles apart from 4, three we've been discussing and Space Ric-o-shay. Perhaps I can see what I can do about asking again, I'll have to go back through my old messages to see if it's still there.

Did the auction finish on $500 or so?

I think Albert ended up paying about $500. The last price on the auction before it was over was $455. I believe you might know the seller on this auction as well Mayhem. His name was David Newman. Here is my copy of that auction.
http://members.shaw.ca/holymoly/eBay%20 ... 010%2b.htm

Albert also has firefighter mario, cat burglar and Character builder as you can see in the auction. The firefighter mario and cat burglar look to be prototypes or just came with crude lables. I sure hope you can get Albert to dump these. send him Anders's dumper program and see if he will do it.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Well worth $500 if you ask me.

Did anyone ever save a copy of that neo geo cart that sold for 50 thousand a few years ago? I wish I could see that again.
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Unfortunately for me I wasnt keen on spending that much for vic20 carts at the time. Now i woudnt think twice. Ah well
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

KilrPilr wrote:Albert also has firefighter mario, cat burglar and Character builder as you can see in the auction. The firefighter mario and cat burglar look to be prototypes or just came with crude lables. I sure hope you can get Albert to dump these. send him Anders's dumper program and see if he will do it.
Not sure I even have Cat Burglar listed, would have to check. I have Firefighter Mario down though. In rumour mill.

The "labels" you see are the reverse of the carts for whatever reason the seller choose to show that side. Many of the OEM carts have on the back a glued little piece of paper giving either rudimentary instructions for the game, or the address of the OEM offices at the time (I say at the time, because I've seen three different locations mentioned on my C64 carts from them!).

If I hear back from Albert, I'll ask him about these two are well.

@Ral-Clan - Space Ric-o-shay exists as an emulator image, but not as a pure "attach to memory address $xxxx" file, so it could do with being dumped properly.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Mayhem wrote:Space Ric-o-shay exists as an emulator image, but not as a pure "attach to memory address $xxxx" file, so it could do with being dumped properly.
There's a ROM called RICHOSHAY.ROM in the archive Leo posted, and it appears to work.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Schema wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Space Ric-o-shay exists as an emulator image, but not as a pure "attach to memory address $xxxx" file, so it could do with being dumped properly.
There's a ROM called RICHOSHAY.ROM in the archive Leo posted, and it appears to work.
I'm pretty sure that's the one Ward Shrake ripped from my cartridge.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps the ROM dump in question is without loading address, if it makes any difference?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I was getting confused on Space Ric-o-Shay, it was sitting in the normal games folder of my GB20 working set, but when I looked in the ZIP file, it was actually a CRT. So I've moved it to the CARTS folder now. Right, so that IS properly dumped.

I checked out the GamesArchive place, they unsurprisingly "nicked" a few of mine on the C64 there. I'll check it out and see if there's anything I still need for GB20 in due time.