Vic Prototype with TV

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Vic Prototype with TV

Post by Jeff-20 »

Apparently there was a VIC 20 prototype in the early 80s which repositioned the function keys to allow for a 2 inch Sony TV to sit right in the frame!

I stole some pics from Bo Zimmerman and David Vohs:

According to what I read, they had working prototypes and everything! My question is: would this be marketable??? I know the VIC's characters are large, but I don't think you'd be able to see anything in this!

I've hooked the VIC up to a 4inch LCD monitor and had trouble. Is this just a convention attraction? I sure would love to try it.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

It would be visible, a 4" LCD probably has less than 100K pixels so resolution is poor compared to a 2" CRT. Also they probably underscanned the display to make the border take up very little of the image.

This would give quite readable characters - about the same as the standard windows font for a 1024 x 768 screen on a 17" monitor.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It reminds me, did anyone build their own SX-20 out of a (broken?) SX-64? I think it should be fairly easy to replace the motherboard and maybe cut a few holes differently for input and output devices.

Have you seen the pics of an Amiga SX-500? It supposedly was a genuine Commodore prototype made out of a SX-64 shell and appeared on a computing expo some year ago.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image