WTB: two pin power socket

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

WTB: two pin power socket

Post by srowe »

Does anyone have a scrap original VIC board that I could have the power connector off? I want to make a temporary adapter for my Japanese-built VIC so it needs to be the standard socket with the insulating divider between the pins.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: WTB: two pin power socket

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote:Does anyone have a scrap original VIC board that I could have the power connector off? I want to make a temporary adapter for my Japanese-built VIC so it needs to be the standard socket with the insulating divider between the pins.
Standard is relative to where you are...

The ones used on European machines are different from those used in North America.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located but I know from experience only the European ones have the divider you mention. I suggest you make your request more clear if you want to find people who have what you're looking for.

North America and Japan:

Europe:
See http://imgur.com/y14joBc

Compare:
See http://imgur.com/Gy8bfYJ
Be normal.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I thought I had my location on my profile but must have removed it. I need a European style socket so I can build a converter to an early US/Japanese plug. Alternatively I'd be interested in a 240V Japanese-style PSU, but I know those are rare.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote:Alternatively I'd be interested in a 240V Japanese-style PSU, but I know those are rare.
When it comes to transformers and transformer boxes, it's possible to custom make almost anything.

If I understand correctly, you'd want a North American/Japanese power box for your VIC-20 that can accept 240Vac and has the European input cord that matches but has the output cord for a North American/Japanese VIC-20, correct ?

If that's so then I can do that all too easily.
Be normal.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I already have a spare European two pin power supply. I've crimped a pair of Molex pins to a figure of eight power lead which I can stick in the power supply plug. It works but it's not too secure, if I could replace the pins with a proper socket it should work satisfactorily.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote:I already have a spare European two pin power supply. I've crimped a pair of Molex pins to a figure of eight power lead which I can stick in the power supply plug. It works but it's not too secure, if I could replace the pins with a proper socket it should work satisfactorily.
Instead of risking the damage (and devaluation) to the old VIC, why not have a PSU with the proper plug ?

If you have a spare European PSU (I suppose with the split connectors), you could easily fit it with the US/Canada/Japan 2 prong plug. I have a plug like that lying around.
Be normal.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I'd rather not cannibalise my spare PSU, they're not too common either.

I could just build a new supply, would a toroidal transformer such as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x9V-50VA-Tor ... Swj0NUdzNc

be suitable?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote:I could just build a new supply, would a toroidal transformer such as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x9V-50VA-Tor ... Swj0NUdzNc

be suitable?
Sure.

Would you want the proper output cord to go along ?
Be normal.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I have what we call here a "figure of 8" two pin cord but I'm not sure if that's exactly the correct plug. What does the original look like?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote:I have what we call here a "figure of 8" two pin cord but I'm not sure if that's exactly the correct plug. What does the original look like?
There are 3 different generations of North American 2 Prong PSUs for the VIC that I know of.

This is the best image I could find of the last one.

You can't see the connector as well on the following images.

This is the oldest VIC-20 PSU that I know of. AFAIK, it was provided with the VIC-1001, the early Japanese made VICs and the early (1981) US made ones.

Finally, this is the second generation which came out around 1982.

High detail picture here (you can see the cord very clearly on this one): http://imgur.com/K3wxbuK
Be normal.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Any standard "figure of 8" plug will fit the USA style connector. I bought a 9vAC transformer and snipped the cable in 2. End with the wall plug goes to the input of the transformer and other end to the output.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

eslapion wrote:This is the oldest VIC-20 PSU that I know of. AFAIK, it was provided with the VIC-1001, the early Japanese made VICs and the early (1981) US made ones.
Not just early Japanese made VICs. My Japanese made PAL VIC-20 has a serial number of 5xxxxx (and I believe someone here posted another one recently) and uses this type of power supply.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

That'll be me :D

Looks like my best option then is to build a new PSU with the figure of eight lead I already have. What's the minimum VA I should go for? Would 30VA be enough or should I go higher?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote:... Would 30VA be enough or should I go higher?
The 2nd generation of VIC-20 AC PSUs were rated for 30VA and they worked just fine so I see no reason to go for more.
Be normal.
alexjlopez
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by alexjlopez »

Is there a modern equivalent power supply available for sale anywhere for the US two-prong style VIC-20? Off the shelf or built and sold by someone in the community?