Sold: Final Expansion 3 Rev 11 [2nd Batch]

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Pre-Orders: Final Expansion 3 Rev 11 [2nd Batch]

Post by mrr19121970 »

Without an SD card the LEDs stay on only for 2 seconds. With no SD card in the internal flash drive is listed with $. Inserting the SD card afterwards works as normal.

I will try tonight re flashing both cartridges
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Go ahead and re-flash the firmware. However, I think your SD card is the issue. Try with a card 8GB or below.

Heather
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

it seems it was an 8gb card already. Tried another 32gb cardm working fine now (no reflash needed)
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Good to hear the issue was with the SD card and not your cartridge!

I'm assembling the kits this weekend for those who purchased fully assembled devices. :)

Heather
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Heather, maybe for REV 12 you an e3frog can add the notches on the right (between 2nd and 3rd connectors) and left (3rd and 4th connectors) so that the FE3 can be used in the VIC1020 and other expanders with the 'directional protection' ?
expansion.jpg
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I'd love to find a 1020. :)

I think doing that would be simple enough. I'll let you know. Do you happen to know the max size in mm that the space would have to be? Is it always centered between two connectors? When you say Left and Right, do you mean left and right looking at the cartridge with the card edge connector facing you?

I've got a few FE3s left for sale and not much interest so I'd be surprised if I did another run soon. It seems like most people that want one now have one. :wink:

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Kits shipped today to rgrocha and lgallair. I'm working on assembly of all the assembled units and they should ship by next Monday or Tuesday. :thumbsup:

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Shipping of assembled units has started. I'll be shipping a few each day until they are all shipped. I'll send a PM with tracking or customs information once your package ships. :)

Thanks!

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Fully assembled units for rmelick and RobertBe shipped today. That takes care of all the Denial orders. Thanks everyone for supporting the project! I'm taking names for a possible future run of devices. If I get enough interest then there will be another run.

Thanks!

Heather
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Thanks my cart came today....very nice.

I do have one question. For some reason I can't get the SD reader to work. I have inserted 3 different SD cards, turned the Vic-20 on, pressed the F3 button but the screen just flashes. It doesn't open the card.

Thanks.
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I'm very happy you received your FE3! Don't worry, your cartridge is working properly. The 'Disk Loader' function is not a SD card browser. It is a program launcher that needs to be configured for the programs stored on your SD card. You need a specially formatted LOADER file in each directory. The loader file contains information on the memory configuration and command to start each program. This is necessary since programs on the VIC-20 can need a certain memory configuration and/or start command to run properly. The directions for creating the LOADER file is in the manual.

If you want a standard SD card browser, you should flash one to the FE3's Cart Menu. Of course, you can only flash programs that have been configured in the disk loader.

You can get a SD card collection with loader files in a few places. Here's one you can download to try.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=6960

I'm going to update the user manual to make it easier to understand. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

Heather
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Thanks for reply. I went to the link download the "SD Card Collection" file from one of the links. I put the files on the SD card along with several games. I turned the VIc on and tried F3 but still the screen just flashes but machine does not access SD card. I also tried the same thing but with the FE3-Collection download and got the same results. The SD card just will not open up. Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks.
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

There's a collection on Zimmers:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... ection.zip

Heather
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Still no luck. Screen flashes but SD card does not open (not responding). Could it be a problem with the card?
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Are you sure you have LOADER in the root ?