New VIC RAM/ROM cart

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

New VIC RAM/ROM cart

Post by dragos »

After the success of VICMEM, I decided that I was not above feature creep, so Jbevren, DDI and myself set about to "improve" the design Jim Brain made for me (Thanks Jim!)

so the new model features are:

Map RAM into blks 1,2,3 and 5 as well as standard 3k expander
Map 2764 ROM into Blk 1,2,3 or 5
Jumpers/Switches to enable disable RAM/ROM
Jumpers/DIP switches to enable RAM/ROM in selected BLKs
Reset switch (foot prints for two different types
LED (not a feature, per se, but cool, nonetheless)

These are high quality PCBs and are ENIG (Gold contacts)

Imageimage by markgladson, on Flickr

The cost is $32 shipped in the USA (contact me for other countries) and includes all parts except an eprom I will include one for $3 and can put any 8/4k program you want in it (provided you have the ROM image) or I can include Vicmon2, Basic 4 or Easyload+

I only have a few this round as these were my protos (fully working) so I am ordering more

if you have something you would like to release on Cartridge, this board can do it all. If you are a programmer and dont want to mess with hardware, I can help. these can be cost/part reduced for simple cartridges. Thanks!
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: New VIC RAM/ROM cart

Post by dragos »

I have added a few options for this cart.

You can now get wimbasic http://wimbasic.webs.com/ as an option (with full blessing from the author, thank you!)

and also Quick Brown Fox word processor. very handy with built in ram expansion (also works with 40/80 column boards)

Thanks!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Great product! You really shouldn't forget our 1112 carts though 8) .
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

I am on that! Working on packaging right now, I took this week off to process the orders!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hi dragos (or anyone who has one of these),

I'm playing around a little more with the one you sent me. I would like to know how to properly configure the jumpers.
It seems semi-obvious, but I don't want to blow things up.

For instance, if I want 32K+3K RAM, I assume I jumper all the four jumpers under the RAM label, PLUS jumper the one in the middle that reads +3K/BLK 5, and ALSO unjumper any jumpers under the ROM label.

I'm also guessing that the two RAM / ROM jumpers in the upper left corner enable/disable RAM or ROM on the board.

Could there be any possibility of electrica/physical damage to components or the VIC if both RAM and ROM were in conflict (i.e. jumpered to occupy the same space)?

But what should I do with the ROM/RAM jumpers in the upper left corner of the board?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I don't own this expander, but judging from the photo, it only carries a single 32K SRAM chip. That means, if you enable the +3K RAM expansion, it will be mirrored into BLK5 (more specifically, what you write in $0400..$0FFF will also appear at $A400..$AFFF, and vice versa).

In this case, crosstalk happens between those two memory areas "by design". If you only want the +3K RAM expansion by itself, this is in order, but you don't get "true" +35K RAM from it.

Edit: In the other thread concerning Bit Shifter's Z-code interpreter, I see you also have troubles with Mega-Cart. In any case, you wouldn't get this working with the RAM/ROM cartridge here.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

You're right Mike,
I was hoping this solution would allow me to use it with the ZORK port.
Sound's like it will not be a true 32K +3K solution, then.

I also have a VIC-MIDI, which has an ULTIMEM function (which I've never used). Could that work in the way I want?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

Hi, you are correct this is not a true 35k expander as is the limitation of using a 32k chip :) I was not even thinking about the ram in the I/O space when we decided on a feature set. So apologies if that confused anyone.

We are considering making one that can do +35k, but it doesn't really fit the original intent (which is jump start vic cart releases)

There will be some of these available soon from a friend of mine. I'll post here once he is ready to accept orders.

Thanks!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hey Dragos,

Just curious - what ROM / EPROM chips are compatible with the ROM socket in these? Are the old 2716 and 2732 okay to use?
What about ROM chips removed from other VIC-20 cartridges?
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

2764 or compatible. I use 28c64b atmel eeproms. If you want ROM in more than one BLK then you would use a 27256, which would allow you to map 8k into eack blk 1,2,3 and 5 (or if you build the image correctly, any combination thereof)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

If you could have the full capabilities of the ultimem + an SD card like the fe3 I'd be sold.

On a side note...
I have the midicart. When I received it I thought to myself that if the midicart could have an sd slot and the functions of the old video expander with an added audio expansion and anolog a/v outputs... This would truly be the ultimate expansion for the Vic.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

this is in no way, shape or form meant to be what the ultimem or FE3 is. It is most definitely NOT a multicart. It was designed to be an inexpensive platform for VIC cart projects. So far only I have taken advantage of its capabilities.

If you wanted to put a VIC game on cartridge for sale, you definitely would not use ultimem to do it.