Sold: Final Expansion 3 Rev 11

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Sold: Final Expansion 3 Rev 11

Post by SkydivinGirl »

This batch is sold out. The next batch is for sale now at: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... f=3&t=8351

e5frog and SkydivinGirl are happy to present the VIC-20 Final Expansion 3 Rev 11.

This revision of the Final Expansion 3 is functionally equivalent to both the Rev 9 and Rev 10 versions that have been sold in the past. It features the following:

• Built-In Menu System.
• A Built-in SD2IEC drive capable of running the latest SD2IEC firmware.
• SD2IEC EEPROM File System (Beta). Allows you to store some files in the SD2IEC without using an SD card. See SD2IEC documentation for usage.
• Diskloader to access files on the SD2IEC from the menu system.
• Battery Backed Real Time Clock (RTC) for accurate Time/Date stamps on SD2IEC.
• 512KB configurable memory expansion.
• 512KB Programmable ROM. Flash your programs to ROM directly from your VIC-20.
• FE3 DOS Wedge with SJLoad (JiffyDOS Compatible Load/Save).
• Dual Reset Buttons – Resets current running configuration or back to menu.

Final Expansion WIKI: http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... _Expansion
Final Expansion Manual: http://koti.kapsi.fi/~jvaltane/vic20/fe ... Manual.pdf

The Final Expansion 3 Rev 11 has the following changes:

• Dual IEC Headers allow you to use standard IEC cables as well as connect other IEC devices to your VIC-20 at the same time.
• IEC cables can still be soldered directly to the PCB in place of the IEC headers if you prefer. Strain relief holes are provided on the PCB to allow for this type of assembly.
• Component changes to allow for easier sourcing of parts and assembly of the kit.
• Tactile switches allow for easier case mounting and removal of the case when replacing the Battery.
• Downloadable 3D case designed by COREi64. (See Below)
• One of three labels to match the case mounting option of your choice: Standard VIC-20 case without IEC Headers (cable directly wired), Standard VIC-20 case with IEC headers (top case cut to accommodate IEC Headers), or COREi64 designed case.
• EEPROM pre-programmed with games by Jeffrey Daniels of the VIC-20 DENIAL Website.

Final Expansion 3 Rev 11 Prototype

Final Expansion 3 Rev 11 Production PCB

COREi64 has completed the case for the Final Expansion 3 Rev 11. You can purchase it from his web store, Shapeways, or download the files to print yourself!

COREi64 Store: http://corei64.com/store/products.php?65&cPath=15_1
Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/product/FK5UXF ... ridge-case
Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1928304

Image Image Image

I have 25 Units available for this batch. These units are available in either Kit form to assemble yourself or fully assembled devices. There are some surface mount components. I will mount these components free for people who want kits but are unable to mount these parts themselves.

PCBs are already here! Kits and assembled devices will ship in December.

Pre-Order Pricing:

$65.00 - Kit

$110.00 - Fully Assembled & Tested

The first ten orders I receive (from any web site) will receive a $5 discount for each device (ALL GONE NOW). I will also give a $5 discount to those of you who have purchased a SaV64 from the current run. These discounts stack so you can get up to $10 off each device. If you’ve already ordered a SaV64, this can probably be added to your order without additional shipping costs.

Please send me a PM with your Full Name and Full Shipping Address as well as the number of devices so I can give you an accurate shipping quote. Also let me know if you want fully assembled devices or kits. Money from pre-orders is used to purchase parts. Therefore, no refunds can be given on pre-orders. You will receive the products you purchase.

Shipping Notice: Each device is about 6 Ounces. Shipping one device to most countries outside the USA will cost around $13.50. Shipping more than one device will cost around $22.50. Please send me your mailing address via PM along with the number of kits you want so I can get you an accurate shipping quote. Shipping to Canada is less expensive than other International destinations. Shipping up to three devices within the USA is $6.80. If shipping prices change between the time you place your pre-order and the actual shipping date, you will be responsible for the difference.

I also have C8D Joystick Switchers available.

PAYPAL NOTICE

Payment can be paid via PayPal Gift/Personal Payment or Standard PayPal. If you are paying with standard PayPal, you must use a fully insured shipping method and pay any PayPal fees. Fully insured International packages are about twice the cost of the First Class International service that I normally use. Be sure to let me know if you want a shipping quote for a fully insured package.

Please read the following before contacting me to buy:

Please be courteous of my time. If you do not contact me after I take the time to get a shipping quote and send it to you then I will not sell anything to you in the future. All I ask is that you respond, even if the shipping quote is too high or something comes up and you can't afford it.

A huge thanks to Diddl and everyone who has worked on the Final Expansion 3. I also could not have offered this project without the tireless efforts of e5frog. He does amazing PCB design and I’m happy to have partnered with him to bring another amazing kit to the community.

Heather
Last edited by SkydivinGirl on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Pre-Orders: Final Expansion 3 Rev 11

Post by orion70 »

Good ol' FE3! This is a release with major changes, so why not FE4? :P
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Unfortunately, I'm still learning a lot about electronics and don't have the know how to design what could be an FE4. Even so, the FE3 is an amazing device and just about everything you could want to complement a VIC-20. :)

Heather
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Will e5frog provide any shipping to Europe?
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I'm doing all the distribution and yes, I send to Europe. :)

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

First 10 orders have been placed so the discount is done. The discount for those who have ordered a SaV64 from the current batch is still available.

Heather
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

SkydivinGirl wrote:I'm doing all the distribution and yes, I send to Europe. :)

Heather
I'm asking because the import fee here in Denmark is 23 usd$ + tax and vat... insane :shock:
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@SkydivinGirl
There seems to be an error on your PCB design: cart port pins 20 and 21 are tied together with a large trace.

At first I thought it would be a major mistake but then I noticed pin 20 is simply NC on the VIC's cart port.

The Commodore 64 has the 2nd and 3rd top leftmost cart port pins attached to +5V, not the VIC-20. In the case of the C64, they are numbered 2 and 3.
Be normal.
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

Eslapion, it seems I made a mistake there, not sure why it happened, it has been there since 2014 when I first traced the original PCB and decided to make a footprint in EagleCAD instead of placing manual pads. Nobody has noticed...

Luckily it should do no harm.

I will correct it for future boards - and also my VIC-20 expansion port footprint...
Thanks for noticing.
My other interest: http://channelf.se
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Thanks for posting about the issue. I'm glad it's not going to cause any trouble. :)

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

About half of this batch is sold so parts have been ordered! I will write up assembly directions with pictures as soon as everything arrives. :D

*IMPORTANT* A PCB design error (see above) was found but it should not cause trouble. Pins 20 and 21 are connected together on the PCB but they should not be. Pin 20 in the VIC-20 is NC (No Connection) and Pin 21 is 5VDC. Since Pin 20 is NC, having the 5VDC going there should not be a problem. However, it would be safest to cut this connection.

I will cut this trace on all the PCBs unless you tell me that you do not want it done. If you don't want it done then you accept responsibility for any potential damage that may be caused by not doing so. I will not be modifying the PCBs for the devices I build for myself so I wanted to give everyone the choice.

Thanks,

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

COREi64's case is ready! See the first post in this thread for details.

Heather
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

Looks very 1541U-II inspired - with double bumps instead, 1541U-II the camel version...

I finished a build in a plain shell, works nicely even if it was a tight fit - had to shave a little to more easily get it loose again after pushing it in. I drilled holes for LEDs under the label - looks very nice. Getting nice holes for the buttons was a bit tricky so I understand the large cutout on the custom shell - makes things easier. It probably took over an hour for me to get the openings right so if you value your time I can recommend the custom case. ;-)
IMG_6281.JPG
IMG_6289.JPG
My other interest: http://channelf.se
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want one! This looks amazing.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

This batch is sold out. Keep an eye on the thread for updates while I finish prepping kits and fully assembled units for shipment. :)

Thanks everyone for helping to make this happen!

Heather