WantedL VIC Cart cases

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

WantedL VIC Cart cases

Post by dragos »

I need a few cartridge cases (brown especially) if you have some old duplicate tooth invaders or bad 3/8/16k/utility carts and can spare the case, I will buy them!

Thanks!
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: WantedL VIC Cart cases

Post by eslapion »

@dragos
Commodore used light beige cases for games. Brown was used for memory expansions and utilities.

Atarisoft used black cases.
Be normal.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

I am aware, thats why i am specifically asking for brown
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Forbidden64 »

When is someone going to just do a run of these carts! They have been around forever and a day on the C64... I have seen so many projects for the VIC and they all require the destruction of another cart to make. I wonder how much it would cost to do anyway...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Forbidden64 wrote:When is someone going to just do a run of these carts! They have been around forever and a day on the C64... I have seen so many projects for the VIC and they all require the destruction of another cart to make. I wonder how much it would cost to do anyway...
I think Jim Brain said 10'000$.

The difference between the VIC and the C64 is the demand for C64 cart cases never wavered. Each year, at least a few hundreds were sold so the molds we kept.

Demand for VIC-20 cart cases was effectively dead from 1985 to 2008 so the molds for that sort of stuff were lost or destroyed.
Be normal.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Forbidden64 »

Well that being the case, being a poor person I was thinking of a way cheaper method using a homemade vacuum forming machine(shop vac and some peg board and a used toaster oven). The mold would then be cast out of plaster. First the negative, then the positive. Two or three could be formed at once. It wouldn't be exactly the same, but it would be something better than a bare board waiting for static to kill it lol. Just two halves and maybe a post for a screw glued in the correct spot made from a cut plastic cylinder, and self drilling screws. Then glued together for sturdiness. I was loosely thinking about it....but it would be nice to have the proper carts done up(if anyone has 10k$ to toss at it :roll: ...fat chance). They are such nice spacious and professional looking cartridges too. I have a nice collection of these original carts, and couldn't bring myself to ever re-purpose one.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Out of curiousity what happened in 2008 that lead to an uptick of interest? The beginning of Denial?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Not quite. The Denial website dates from 2004.

But 2008 marked the final stages in the development of Mega-Cart and Final Expansion 3, both of which created a rather huge demand for re-purposed cartridge shells. :)

Before that, I re-purposed a Personal Finance cartridge for a self-written game of TRON Light Cycles. :mrgreen:
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

Reminds me, I have a 32K RAM that needs a case ...
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

and I have a couple of releases needing cart cases, so sell me your tooth invaders and personal finances :)
RodHull
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by RodHull »

I'll soon have new VIC20 cart cases in my store. Similar to the Penultimate Cartridge case, but without button holes.. First batch will be in cream.

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/c ... vic20.html
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

RodHull wrote:I'll soon have new VIC20 cart cases in my store. Similar to the Penultimate Cartridge case, but without button holes.. First batch will be in cream.
Excellent, and in the UK too.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

I emailed you a few weeks ago about cases, any idea the cost per? I'd be really keen on the brown as well, great way to differentiate the kickstarter VIC-1112 clones with ones that will be for sale in my shop!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Dragos, I have already asked this somewhere else: any ETA for the KS clone?