For Sale: VIC-20 *2 Prong* Power Supply Modern Replacement

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

For Sale: VIC-20 *2 Prong* Power Supply Modern Replacement

Post by Oge_user »

It replaces the 1001038-03 Power Supply (check the following picture as a sample) and it works everywhere (100/110/220/230/240VAC).

It also replaces the 1001038-04 Commodore Power Supply.

On a side note, this Modern Replacement extends the lifespan of the machine by providing Stabilized DC instead of Alternating Current (less ripple and lower voltage coming to voltage regulator). I offer a 60 day warranty so you can be sure that it is just okay.

PRICE:
€48,00

SHIPMENT:
€16,00 (Europe);
€22,00 (Outside Of Europe)
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: For Sale: VIC-20 *2 Prong* Power Supply Modern Replacement

Post by Oge_user »

A detailed picture of the article is coming within' some days. Unluckily, 2-Prong connectors are limited so I won't be able to offer more than 5 units. :(
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I thought 9v AC is needed for timing?
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

and AC too.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

But is ac really needed for timing on the vic-20? Unless you need ac on the user port, dc will probably be okay as discussed before (and confirmed by Ray Carlsen I Believe).

Oge: What voltage are you using? And have you measured the temperature inside the computer with your psu compared to the standard one?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Boray wrote:But is ac really needed for timing on the vic-20? Unless you need ac on the user port, dc will probably be okay as discussed before (and confirmed by Ray Carlsen I Believe).

Oge: What voltage are you using? And have you measured the temperature inside the computer with your psu compared to the standard one?
There is nothing INSIDE the Vic-20 that needs the AC, except for making 5V DC.. The cassette deck on the other way needs it, but if you are using a 1541, SDCard or alike there is no need.
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Oge_user »

Boray wrote:But is ac really needed for timing on the vic-20? Unless you need ac on the user port, dc will probably be okay as discussed before (and confirmed by Ray Carlsen I Believe).

I am using ~12,4VDC. On the VIC the temperature is sensibly lower, compared to the standard Power Supply, as the regulator is feeded with regulated DC instead of rectified current. :)

At this point replacing the main capacitors became an optional and the regulator placed inside of the VIC should last much longer.

I really would like someone to review it. Prong connectors are only 3/4 pieces though. :(

Cheers,
Oge
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Kakemoms wrote: There is nothing INSIDE the Vic-20 that needs the AC, except for making 5V DC.. The cassette deck on the other way needs it, but if you are using a 1541, SDCard or alike there is no need.
So the cassette deck won't work with your power supply?
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Oge_user »

I think that it will work.

Cheers,
Oge
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The datasette doesn't need AC.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Boray wrote:The datasette doesn't need AC.
As you see in this schematic the 9V unregulated line only ends up on the cassette motor output pin of the cassette port.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

beamrider wrote:
Kakemoms wrote: There is nothing INSIDE the Vic-20 that needs the AC, except for making 5V DC.. The cassette deck on the other way needs it, but if you are using a 1541, SDCard or alike there is no need.
So the cassette deck won't work with your power supply?
Depends on the cassette deck since some work off the 5V DC supply. On my C64 I lost the 9V supply and my commodore datasette didn't work after that since its motor needs 6V unregulated to work.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Kakemoms wrote:
Boray wrote:The datasette doesn't need AC.
As you see in this schematic the 9V unregulated line only ends up on the cassette motor output pin of the cassette port.
I can see that it goes through a transistor that probably does something as the cassette motor should be about 6V.

According to the user manual, the Vic-20 offers the following:
+5V on pin 7 of the game port.
+5V on pin 21 of the expansion port
+6V on pin 1 of the video port (for the RF-modulator)
+5V of pins B/2 of the cassette port
+6V of pins C/3 of the cassette port (motor)
+5V of pin 2 of the user port
+9V of pin 10 of the user port.

And no mentioning of AC anywhere, so a DC supply would probably be fine.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Is 9V unregulated DC rectified from AC of the same power as 6V regulated DC? Which means that anything above 6 DC regulated would fry the tape motor? Which means that what you really would need is 6 V regulated DC as a power supply?
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Oge_user »

The 9VAC from the original 2-Prong PS becomes rectified (unregulated) 12,4VDC.

The 6VCC voltage requested by the Datassette motor is sourced by the above mentioned 12,4VDC. In case that 12VDC signal is already regulated (which is the case of the Power Supply object of the thread) I think that this 6VCC voltage is going to be more precise and put less strain on the Datassette motor.

@Boray: The Datassette motor is able to work with a range of 5/6VDC and requests around 250~300mA.

Cheers,
Oge