Sold: SaV64 Pre-Orders (Saver/Overvoltage Protector)

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Sold: SaV64 Pre-Orders (Saver/Overvoltage Protector)

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Hi everyone!

I am very happy to introduce the SaV64!
The SaV64 was designed and created in collaboration with e5frog, based on his OVG64 over voltage protector. It uses an over voltage protection controller to allow you to safely use your original Commodore power supply or an alternative power source with your Commodore computers.

Here’s the complete list of features:
  • - Protect your Commodore 64(C/G/GS/Aldi), Commodore VIC-20 CR, or Plus/4 (with an adapter) from overvoltage on the 5VDC line.
    - 5VDC and 9VAC Barrel connectors to allow easy use of alternative power sources. 5VDC barrel input is also protected from overvoltage.
    - Use an external 5VDC power source and continue using your Commodore power supply for 9VAC even when its 5VDC has failed.
    - Designed to handle 3 Amps in order to protect and power your system.
    - High quality relay that disconnects both DC and AC lines in the case of an overvoltage condition.
    - Dual color LED indicating the 5VDC status: Normal (Green) or Tripped (Red)
    - Can be reset with the recessed reset button or by unplugging the power source.
    - LED indicator shows when voltage is safe or tripped.
    - Four possible trip point settings to customize the protection to your system.
    - A high quality aluminum enclosure that will be customized at the factory to precisely match the SaV64’s connectors. The case is quite small at around 2.5 Inches Wide by 2.8 Inches Deep and 1.5 Inches tall.
    - 3M Rubber Feet and a professionally printed SaV64 logo are also included to complete the device.
    - The output cable can be routed through the same end as the inputs or out the back of the device. To accommodate either configuration, this is the only opening that is not pre-drilled.
Here are images of the prototype device. Please remember that this is a prototype so it has some cosmetic and other issues. I drilled the holes for the prototype so they are not exactly straight and you can see the aluminum on the edges of the holes. The factory cut holes will be properly cut and the same anodized black as the rest of the case. The LED will be lower and the reset switch will be closer to the outside of the case for easier access.

Image Image

Image Image

As you can see in the images, I have powered the C64 using the 5VDC from my benchtop power supply along with a 9VAC adapter plugged into the barrel connector.

I am taking pre-orders for the kits now! There are five SMD components but the rest of the device is through-hole soldering. I will pre-attach the SMD components to the PCB for anyone who is not capable of doing those components themselves. Please specify that you need this done when you pre-order.

Important: This is a kit and requires assembly.

At this time, I am not planning to offer fully assembled, ready to use units. I'm not fast with assembly so I cannot provide ready to use units at a good price point.

THIS IS NO LONGER A SALES THREAD. THESES PRICES ARE LEFT HERE FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES. LOOK FOR A THREAD THAT IS NOT MARKED AS SOLD FOR CURRENT PRICING

Here are the costs:

$42.50 – One complete kit. Everything you need to assemble one SaV64. There are two barrel connector options: 2.0x6.3mm or 2.5x6.3mm. You can get two of the same or one of each.

$1 – Each additional foot (30cm) of 4-Conductor output wire. The kit will come with 20 Inches (~50cm) of output wire. That will give you more than 1ft of cable between the SaV64 and your computer but you can order extra length at this price if you like. This will add a little extra weight to the package and may affect shipping costs.

Shipping Notice: Each kit is about 8 Ounces. Shipping a single kit to many countries will cost around $14.40. Please send me your mailing address via PM along with the number of kits you want so I can get you a good shipping quote. I am willing to ship multiple user’s kits to a single person who can distribute them, which might save money. Again, contact me if you want to do something like this.

Shipping within the USA is $5.25 for a single kit. I might be able to get two kits into a Small Flat Rate box for the same price but I won't know until I receive the components.

This kit was created with quality in mind so I did not skimp on the components. Higher quality components cost more but I fully expect the SaV64 to be a robust and reliable device for years to come. :)

Pre-orders will be open at least one month. I will only accept PayPal Gift for payment. I may make exceptions if this option is not available in your region. I hope I’ve earned the trust of the members of the community through my years of interaction and also the Final Cartridge III+ project last year.

I will update this thread through each step of the process. I expect to begin shipping kits within two months. I wish I didn’t have to wait so long but the pre-order payments are needed before I can order parts.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have!

I'd like to thank penfold42 for his early input and send a huge thanks to e5frog for all his work on this project. I could not have done it without him!

Heather
Last edited by SkydivinGirl on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: SaV64 Pre-Orders (Saver/Overvoltage Protector)

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I've decided to sell completely assembled units for $55.

Thanks!

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Why can't I edit my posts?

A quick correction about the size of the barrel connectors that are available.

$42.50 – One complete kit. Everything you need to assemble one SaV64. There are two barrel connector options: 2.0x6.3mm (Accepts 2.1x5.5mm plug) or 2.5x6.3mm (Accepts 2.5x5.5mm plug). You can get two of the same or one of each.

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

See the SaV64 at ECCC this weekend!

Lemon64 member jim_64 graciously offered to show the prototype SaV64 at the Emergency Chicagoland Commodore Convention. You should stop by his table and say hello!

Thanks for your help Jim!

Heather
dottyflowers
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by dottyflowers »

Hi Heather,

Yes please, I would like to (pre-)order one in order to keep my MAX healthy! Completely assembled would be great.

Patrick
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Thanks so much for your interest in the project! The PCBs are on their way to me and I'm ordering other components this weekend. I should be able to begin shipping by the end of the month.

I'll send you a PM now.

Heather
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Nice to see you are getting a much friendlier response to this here Heather ;)
SkydivinGirl wrote:Why can't I edit my posts?
If you have an issue, just PM one of us admins here, and we'll see if we can fix something :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Hi Mayhem!

Yeah, I've had much friendlier responses on all the other sites except the one. I'm able to edit my posts here now so I think it was user error. :)

I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Heather
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

SkydivinGirl wrote:Hi Mayhem!

Yeah, I've had much friendlier responses on all the other sites except the one. I'm able to edit my posts here now so I think it was user error. :)

I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Heather
The project is very interesting, my guess is that we are a lot of two prong users here :wink:
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Thanks! Most of my VIC-20s are also the 2-Prong version but I do have a couple DIN versions as well. For those, I use this along with my original C= power supplies. :wink:

Heather
kuparikettu
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by kuparikettu »

Hi Heather,

I just found your project and I'm interested! I'd like to pre-order a fully assembled unit for use with my C64. :)

Best regards from Finland,

Heikki
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I'll send you a PM now.

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Just a quick update. There was a small design issue that needed to be addressed. In order to fix it, we had to add two components to the design and swap a resistor with a different value one. There's a small daughter board that e5frog designed that will fit nicely on the PCBs that have been printed so there's no need to redo the already printed ones. The daughter boards will be ordered today.

As for ETA, I think the cases will be the biggest factor on the delivery date. Having the holes pre-drilled has been a lot more hassle than I had hoped. I've sent a partially assembled PCB to the case manufacturer. The PCB has all the inputs and outputs soldered to it so they can verify the drilling template and make adjustments if needed. I'd hate for the holes to be slightly off because it would detract from the aesthetics of the project. If you would like a guess, I would say we are still 3 - 4 weeks out.

There's a bit of a silver lining. Since I know the existing PCBs can be used, I can get most of the assembly completed while waiting for the daughter boards and cases. That way, I can ship everything very soon after getting those last couple parts.

I'm very sorry for the delays. I want to deliver a device that fulfills the goals I set out and I would rather it be a little late than poor quality or ineffective. Feel free to post any questions you have in the thread or contact me via PM. :thumbsup:

Thank you!

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

A quick update for everyone. Over the weekend, I finished the testing of the daughter board changes and everything is looking good. I ordered the daughter board PCBs and should have them within two weeks.

The PCB I sent to the case manufacturer should be received this week and they are ready for immediate production. They will send a proof image of the drilling template on the case with the PCB installed. If all looks good then they will proceed with final production.

While waiting for the other parts to arrive, I have proceeded with assembly of the 'fully assembled' units. I'll be able to get most of the production done before the other parts arrive. This should allow me to ship everything soon after the other parts arrive.

Thanks everyone!

Heather
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Another update for everyone. I heard back from the case manufacturer last week and they were supposed to send me a picture of the updated drilling template but I haven't heard back from them. I've written another message to them pushing to get this complete so I'll let you know what I hear back. I figured the case might be the difficult part and it certainly has proven to be so. :(

In the meantime, here's a pictures of the assembled SaV64s that are just waiting for cases. I was waiting to attach the barrel connectors but I started doing that yesterday. Once the cases arrive, I simply need to attach the output cables and put the units in the cases and they will be ready to ship.

I'll update you as soon as I hear about the cases.

Heather