Behr-Bonz 2015

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Behr-Bonz 2015

Post by eslapion »

New lower price - 36$US or 32.50 Euros!

The printed circuit boards have arrived in Montreal. The shipping will begin on monday, as promised.

There is a new menu in the Behr-Bonz cart.

A friendly menu for the friendly computer!

Thank you e5frog !

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6eBfhsU40
or
https://youtu.be/PY6eBfhsU40

Up/Down cursor keys to browse, or F1 and F7, select with Return.
Browsning can also be done with joystick up/down + fire.
Quick select using key 1-8 then choose game with lettered keys
according to column on the right.

See:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =15&t=2768

This cartridge designed for your Commodore VIC-20 computer comprises 127 games, all of which were originally published as game cartridges between 1981 and 1984. No additional expansion is required to play them, except a joystick and, depending on the game, a pair of paddles.

The new Behr-Bonz will be slightly different from the Original with a new color in the menu and a button to reset to menu without the need to turn your VIC-20 off and on.

The Behr-Bonz multicart circuit board is exactly the same physical size as a Commodore made game cartridge so it can fit in the plastic case of a game you already own (4.5 x 9 cm). No plastic case is provided.

Just like original Commodore cartridges it uses gold plating to protect your cartridge port connector and for the longest possible lifespan. It is protected by a 90 day money back guarantee. Please note that out of the 100 original units made in 2008, not a single one was found to be defective nearly 7 years after their initial release.

-The price per unit of the Behr-Bonz multicart is 49$US or 58$can or 44Euros NEW LOWER PRICE - 36$US or 32.50 Euros. Quantity discounts are available on quantities of 5 units or more.

-Shipping to the US is 10$US, Australia, South America, all EU countries and Canada is 12$US or 11 Euros - shipping cost is the same wether you order 1 or up to 7 units.

- YOU MUST SPECIFY WETHER YOU WANT A PAL OR NTSC VERSION - if this information is not specified then I will determine it myself according to the video standard available in the country of the shipping address

If you are interested, just send an e-mail indicating how many you would like to purchase to eslapion(aT)videotron.ca with the subject "Behr-Bonz purchase".

You will be added to a mailing list and informed - DO NOT PM ME HERE!
E-mails coming from unknown e-mail addresses with any other subjects will be deleted by the spam filter.

There is at least 3 improvements to the original cart:

- A "reset to menu" button. The original cart would send you back to the selected game when resetting the VIC because of the way it "locks" to the selected game to prevent games who write gibberrish in the IO2/IO3 region from causing problems.

- Improved PAL version menu colors. The colors of the menu are white text on black background and a blue border. This is an indication the version is 2015.

- Games can now be accessed quickly by pressing numbers 1 to 8 then the associated letter

FAQ:

* How do I disable the Behr-Bonz ?

Presently, if you want to return to BASIC startup without disconnecting the cartridge, just press '6' then press 'K' from the menu.

This actually selects one of the Scott Adams game but if you never start the game, you're effectively disabling the Behr-Bonz and falling back to an unexpanded VIC.

* How do I jump directly to my favorite game without having to scroll hundreds of titles ?

Press numbers 1 to 8 then press the letter associated with your favorite game. All games can be accessed quickly by pressing one number then one letter.

* The 5 SA games just return me to BASIC. What did I do wrong? How do I start the game ?

SA is indicative of a Scott Adams text adventure game. These games do not autostart like most arcade style games. You have to type 'SYS32592" and hit the RETURN key to start them. That's exactly the same as with the real Scott Adams game cartridges.

A manual for a Scott Adams game can be found here: https://www.mocagh.org/ai/scottadams1uk-vic-manual.pdf
Last edited by eslapion on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
Be normal.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Behr-Bonz 2015

Post by akator »

Thank you for making the Behr Bonz available again. It's very exciting for those of us who missed it the first time around :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

You are most welcome!
Be normal.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Arrived today. Will test and confirm functionality in due course.
litody
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by litody »

Mine arrived today as well, thanks eslapion, looking forward to testing it out tomorrow night after work.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

English Invader wrote:Arrived today. Will test and confirm functionality in due course.
Tested and I can confirm that the item is in full working order. Thanks very much.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Thank you to all you guys for supporting me.

Its good to see my efforts yield results that makes people happy.
Be normal.
fuzzybad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by fuzzybad »

Got my Behr-Bonz cart in the post and have checked out a few games so far. It works great! Love the menu page select with 1-8 keys.

Any easter eggs for us to discover?

How about tips for mounting the reset button inside a case?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

fuzzybad wrote:Got my Behr-Bonz cart in the post and have checked out a few games so far. It works great! Love the menu page select with 1-8 keys.

Any easter eggs for us to discover?

How about tips for mounting the reset button inside a case?
I mounted my own reset to menu button sideways through the vent hole with a good amount of thermal glue.

Since the plastic is very slippery, its the shape of the blob of glue, not adherence to the surface, that holds the button in place.

As for Easter Eggs, e5frog would be the one to ask. I wouldn't know of any. :oops:
Be normal.
jeux397
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jeux397 »

Merci Eslapion !!!

J'ai bien reçu ma "Behr-Bonz" et je l'ai mise à l'intérieur d'une mémoire 16K #vic-1111 .... Voici les photos et vous remarquerez que j'ai aussi positionné le bouton "reset" sur le haut de la cassette !!!

Bye !!!
Vivre et laisser vivre !
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Please guys,
Tell me what are your favorite games?

Which ones do you feel are missing?
Be normal.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

eslapion wrote:Please guys,
Tell me what are your favorite games?

Which ones do you feel are missing?
As a Mega Cart owner, I can honestly say that there isn't a lot missing in the Behr Bonz that I would lose any sleep over apart from a few homebrews like Return to Fort Knox, Berzerk MMX and Frogger 07 but I can't expect those because they're not original cart games.

You got most of the important ones like Keyquest, Demon Attack, Dragonfire, Jelly Monsters and VIC Rally X so although the BB isn't as good as the MC it's still a great budget alternative.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

English Invader wrote:You got most of the important ones like Keyquest, Demon Attack, Dragonfire, Jelly Monsters and VIC Rally X so although the BB isn't as good as the MC it's still a great budget alternative.
Good to know.

Barney asked me to change some of the games on his customized Behr-Bonz. Then I realized the main reason why I didn't put these games in the Behr-Bonz in the first place is because I could never figure out how to play these games.
Be normal.
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by folkoh »

My Behr Bonz cart arrived today after only 5 days from shipping notification (Canada to Germany). Well wrapped and declared (no trouble with customs - other carts from the US once were suspected to be military equipment :-)).
It works pefectly and beats any other cart in terms of quick access to the games. I had so much fun today, merci Francois for the awesome work you have invested. Very good value for money.

Now playing VIC has beaten the only other game I have time to play (Elite Dangerous: anyone in for a VIC-Wing?)

Thanks again,

Br,

Folko

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

You are most welcome
Be normal.