VIC Assembly Cartridge Wanted.

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

garry68
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC Assembly Cartridge Wanted.

Post by garry68 »

Hello all,

I'm new to VIC 20 programming (well actually I'm really old to it, but I haven't done anything for around 30 years) and I used to have the Assembly programming cartridge - I gave it away around 20 years ago.

And was just wondering how much it would be to get one again now?

I was toying with the idea of making an machine code game for the VIC (hopefully for the unexpanded VIC) and would be grateful for any tips on where to get started (I do have a working VIC 20) and how to run programs on a VIC when developing on a PC.

I know this may all be basic info, but I'd rather get it from those who know rather than wade through a lot of garbled information on the internet.
Sometimes Google is not your friend :|
Last edited by garry68 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC Assembly Catrradge Wanted.

Post by beamrider »

Unless you are intent on developing on real hardware PC cross development is far easier

Personally, I use a combination of Notepad++ (with Exec and Explorer plug-ins), CA65 Cross Asembler & VICE emulator for testing. There are many other assemblers and tools too, such as my Vic20 screen and Character designer and CBM Prg Studio.
garry68
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: VIC Assembly Catrradge Wanted.

Post by garry68 »

I intend to develop on the PC and port it across to the VIC, like I do for my Vectrex stuff (which I mostly use Notepad++ for).

If it's easy enough to get hold of the Assembly cartridge I would like this for tracing what is actually happening when something is run on the real hardware. Something I can't do with the Vectrex.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: VIC Assembly Cartridge Wanted.

Post by Mike »

garry68 wrote:I know this may all be basic info, but I'd rather get it from those who know rather than wade through a lot of garbled information on the internet.
The Denial forum has two sections, 'Programming' and 'Emulation and Cross Development', which specifically deal with this kind of subjects.
If it's easy enough to get hold of the Assembly cartridge I would like this for tracing what is actually happening when something is run on the real hardware. Something I can't do with the Vectrex.
That's much easier done with the built-in monitor of VICE.

Besides, the really interesting cases of cycle-exact routines couldn't be tested this way on real hardware, as those rely on the same resources (VIA timers) that are used by the single step routines of the monitor program in those cartridges.
And was just wondering how much it would be to get one again now?
HESMON or VICMON should go at around $5 to $10 on ebay. With a RAM expansion in BLK5, you could softload the cartridge images of those.
(hopefully for the unexpanded VIC)
Why just unexpanded? Those concerned running real hardware do own RAM expansions. Count on it.

P.S. you can correct the typo in the topic title by editing the original post
garry68
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by garry68 »

Mike wrote:
garry68 wrote:(hopefully for the unexpanded VIC)
Why just unexpanded? Those concerned running real hardware do own RAM expansions. Count on it.

P.S. you can correct the typo in the topic title by editing the original post
Well, to see what I can manage to get in there, and because this is/was the standard machine...

But if everybody really does have an expansion RAM now, then I suppose I'd be a well making it for 16K.

As I said, I haven't really done anything with a VIC for a long time!
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »