New to VIC-20 Collecting

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

brop99
Vic 20 Newbie

New to VIC-20 Collecting

Post by brop99 »

After having collected a ton of TI-99/4A stuff in that last 15 years, I finally decided to get into another system. Namely the VIC-20! :) Anyway, my goal is get a nice collection of all the game carts for the VIC CIB. Right now I am looking for a boxed Commodore Joystick and paddles. I'm not sure how much something like that would go for, so if you have one for sale shoot me a price. I look forward to getting involved in the VIC and hopefully can have a lot of fun learning about this computer!
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: New to VIC-20 Collecting

Post by English Invader »

brop99 wrote:After having collected a ton of TI-99/4A stuff in that last 15 years, I finally decided to get into another system. Namely the VIC-20! :) Anyway, my goal is get a nice collection of all the game carts for the VIC CIB. Right now I am looking for a boxed Commodore Joystick and paddles. I'm not sure how much something like that would go for, so if you have one for sale shoot me a price. I look forward to getting involved in the VIC and hopefully can have a lot of fun learning about this computer!
You might be over-reaching a bit with the VIC-20 carts (especially if you want them CIB). Apart from the Commodore and Atarisoft ones, many of them only have a handful of known copies in existence. Your best bet is the Mega-Cart, but there is a very long waiting list for that:
http://www.mega-cart.com/

If you take your time, you should be able to get a boxed 1311 joystick and paddles for less than £10 each. The joystick isn't particularly sought after because there are far better (and more available) alternatives like the Atari CX-40. It's only for people who want a completely authentic experience.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Welcome :)

I've been collecting Vic20 cartridges for about ten years, and I'd say I'm about 85% of the way there. However there are a LOT of extremely rare titles as EngInv states, and many have known copies you can count on one hand, let alone finding them CIB. I wish you good luck in the endeavour, but it's a long and arduous road fraught with patience and expenditure! :twisted:

(and people here will generally say I'm the go-to guy for knowing most of this stuff, and yet there's probably at least 20-25 games I don't own at all, let alone CIB)

Coupled with on average a new, completely unknown title comes out the woodwork every couple of years, and the paradigm is always shifting.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
brop99
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by brop99 »

Mayhem wrote:Welcome :)

I've been collecting Vic20 cartridges for about ten years, and I'd say I'm about 85% of the way there. However there are a LOT of extremely rare titles as EngInv states, and many have known copies you can count on one hand, let alone finding them CIB. I wish you good luck in the endeavour, but it's a long and arduous road fraught with patience and expenditure! :twisted:

(and people here will generally say I'm the go-to guy for knowing most of this stuff, and yet there's probably at least 20-25 games I don't own at all, let alone CIB)

Coupled with on average a new, completely unknown title comes out the woodwork every couple of years, and the paradigm is always shifting.
Thanks for the support in this apparently tough quest. I guess I'll have to settle for unboxed titles when necessary just so I can at least play the game and add it to my collection (at least until I find one CIB). Do you know of any good lists to use as a guide for what's out there? I'd love to see a good VIC-20 cartridge listing so I know what I am getting into :D . Thanks!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

brop99 wrote:Do you know of any good lists to use as a guide for what's out there? I'd love to see a good VIC-20 cartridge listing so I know what I am getting into :D . Thanks!
I need to get some of the data back off here for my own records, and there's a few titles not present (don't think Bomber Word or Type Snyper will be visible for starters), but I have maintained the Digital Press listing since Ward Shrake retired (and if you've never heard of him, go look him up!).

http://www.digitpress.com/video-game-guide/

So that's probably the best place to begin. It'll have rarity and approximate values in there too (for loose carts).
brop99
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by brop99 »

Mayhem wrote:
brop99 wrote:Do you know of any good lists to use as a guide for what's out there? I'd love to see a good VIC-20 cartridge listing so I know what I am getting into :D . Thanks!
I need to get some of the data back off here for my own records, and there's a few titles not present (don't think Bomber Word or Type Snyper will be visible for starters), but I have maintained the Digital Press listing since Ward Shrake retired (and if you've never heard of him, go look him up!).

http://www.digitpress.com/video-game-guide/

So that's probably the best place to begin. It'll have rarity and approximate values in there too (for loose carts).
Awesome. Thanks! Also, yes I have talked with Ward Shrake in the past and know about his Cartzilla. I still check it out to this very day. As a matter of fact, his Cartzilla was the reason I decided to get a VIC in the first place :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cartzilla was great for its time, and the basis of the current DP guide, but horribly outdated today. Many new games discovered since, and many with more accurate rarities, usually downwards. But that's the internet, eBay and everything else for you. I did meet Ward once, at a show in Vegas, where he was demonstrating Astrocade multicarts iirc.
rgrocha
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by rgrocha »

Hi!

I could help you a bit. I've a ton of duplicated VIC20 stuff I'd want to sell, including a boxed CBM joystick!
I'll make an inventory and PM it to you later today.

Regards
brop99 wrote:After having collected a ton of TI-99/4A stuff in that last 15 years, I finally decided to get into another system. Namely the VIC-20! :) Anyway, my goal is get a nice collection of all the game carts for the VIC CIB. Right now I am looking for a boxed Commodore Joystick and paddles. I'm not sure how much something like that would go for, so if you have one for sale shoot me a price. I look forward to getting involved in the VIC and hopefully can have a lot of fun learning about this computer!