Getting a Vic for under $100 on ebays is getting impossible!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Getting a Vic for under $100 on ebays is getting impossi

Post by metalfoot76 »

English Invader wrote:
metalfoot76 wrote:Well... I'd love a VIC, it's the only 8-bit Commodore I don't have in my collection that I'd like to have (I have 2 64Cs, a 128, and a 16, all NTSC). But I can't spend more than $50 on it, as the household budget (3 kids 6 and under) just doesn't permit right now. Emulation is it for me right now.
There are bargains to be found, but expect to take a chance on an untested system. My #1 VIC in terms of functionality and cosmetic appearance was bought as untested for £20, but if you want tested and guaranteed full working order you should expect to pay at least £60 (about $100 US).
I understand that, for sure. And I bought my C16 in unknown condition for $15 and, lucky for me, it works. Perfectly. I had to find a power supply, but at least the 16 uses a 'standard' connector for the power. The VICs seem to just not be as prevalent around here.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Wonder what's value of my new never used boxed Vic20 that also smells new when look inside box :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

metalfoot76 wrote:The VICs seem to just not be as prevalent around here.
Have you contacted the Toronto Pet User Group? http://tpug.ca

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

Got one off ebay that claims to include all cords, a datasette, and a few carts. $49 plus shipping. Worth a try. It was working according to the seller. See if it's still working when it arrives.
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

RobertBe wrote:
metalfoot76 wrote:The VICs seem to just not be as prevalent around here.
Have you contacted the Toronto Pet User Group? http://tpug.ca

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Not a member and they don't have a public store anymore.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

metalfoot76 wrote:Got one off ebay that claims to include all cords, a datasette, and a few carts. $49 plus shipping. Worth a try. It was working according to the seller. See if it's still working when it arrives.
I hope it wasn't the typcal seller claim: I bought this from an estate sale. The owner used it 1 time and put it away in the attic. It worked 114 years ago before it was boxed up and stored. When you hear this: prepare yourself for anything.
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

According to tracking info, I will be getting my VIC today. Here's hoping for the best...

Update: Arrived! Seems to work except I don't have a TV with old enough terminal connectors to connect the RF box to my TV... so is there a 5pin-DIN monitor cable that will work with my 1802?
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Sv: Getting a Vic for under $100 on ebays is getting imp

Post by Zeela »

metalfoot76 wrote:Well... I'd love a VIC, it's the only 8-bit Commodore I don't have in my collection that I'd like to have (I have 2 64Cs, a 128, and a 16, all NTSC).
Hmmm... it seems to be missing a few Commodore 8-bitters in your collection. ;-)
Plus/4, C116, all of the PETs, the B128 and its cousins, the Ultimax/Max Machine to mention just a few ;-)
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

Found a $4 connector at the local hobby/electronics shop to hook my TV up to the VIC. Works great. :)

Now I just need a memory expansion.
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Sv: Getting a Vic for under $100 on ebays is getting imp

Post by metalfoot76 »

Zeela wrote:
metalfoot76 wrote:Well... I'd love a VIC, it's the only 8-bit Commodore I don't have in my collection that I'd like to have (I have 2 64Cs, a 128, and a 16, all NTSC).
Hmmm... it seems to be missing a few Commodore 8-bitters in your collection. ;-)
Plus/4, C116, all of the PETs, the B128 and its cousins, the Ultimax/Max Machine to mention just a few ;-)
Yeah. I did say "that I'd like to have". Already getting a bit of grief from the wife as it is.
Questarian
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Questarian »

Personally, unless it's in really good shape, working, and with "guaranteed not DOA", $100 USD is still a bit steep for a VIC on ebay... Pre-eBay, There wasn't a system I couldn't pickup between $20 - $50 USD. Today, with a little patience, you can pickup a working working VIC/64 on eBay for $40 - $60... I won't pay more then about $30 - $40 USD for an average "unknown", and about $25 USD max for a known DOA.... at flee markets, when they show which is rare these days, I still find them for around $20.

As i've posted in the past - While there were fewer VIC's made, I've generally found them just as frequently as 64's and, oddly enough, typically in better shape then 64's. The impression I've gotten is, perhaps because the VIC's were fairly "early" mass market machines, that the people that had them were more likely to appreciate and take care of them. Price wise, as the bulk of people that jumped into computers in the 80's came in during the C64 era, the VIC seems to get underrated/forgotten, creating a smaller "nostalgia demand", so the prices remain (relatively) reasonable.

-John-
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

The day I bought my C16 locally, the same retrogaming store had a VIC-20 but the VIC was missing keys and definitely looked beat up, but the 16 was fine. So I guess it depends where you're looking?
Questarian
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Questarian »

metalfoot76 wrote:The day I bought my C16 locally, the same retrogaming store had a VIC-20 but the VIC was missing keys and definitely looked beat up, but the 16 was fine. So I guess it depends where you're looking?
When, where, phase of the moon... lot of luck as well. In general, all things being equal, I've found VIC's in better shape the 64's... +4's, and partially the C16's because they're even rarer, have followed the same rule and generally been in better shape... doesn't mean I haven't seen some really sad looking units!

I never had much luck out here with thrift stores (Salvation Army, Goodwill)... wasn't one nearby for the longest time, and they usually got picked over by other collectors before I got there... and the retrogame places I've been to never seem to have much, if any, stuff that isn't from cart based systems.

My best pickings are in the big flea markets, lots of vendors and one-day sellers... the stuff from one-day people is usually in better shape... More closets and attics then damp cellars or storage lots. Also depends how long the thing has been "kicking around"... keys are the most common part that get broken off because the get strored in a pile with a lot of stuff stacked on top of them, fallen off shelves, or literary get tosses in a box one too many times. If there's been any flooding in an area I'm getting stuff from, I've seen, and bought, some really dirty/beat-up looking equipment.

-John-