Vickit 2 and Vickit 4&5 for sale

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

andyryan
Vic 20 Drifter

Vickit 2 and Vickit 4&5 for sale

Post by andyryan »

Hi

I have two Vickit cartridges made by Stack Computer Services for sale. I like owning them from a collectors point of view but realistically am never going to use them so thought I would offer them up to a new home.

First cartridge is labelled as "Ram & Rom Cartridge" but after some research and playing around with it I am 99% sure it is Vickit 2.

Second cartridge is labelled Vickit 4 & 5.

Both cartridges appear to be working fine.

Not sure on what value to place on them as they were a bit of a surprise find in a bigger job lot so will consider reasonable offers. I'm not expecting silly money so feel free to make me an offer.

Am happy to sell separately or together and am happy to post worldwide.

I will leave them up for sale for a week on here and if no-one is interested I will put them on ebay.

Regards

Andy
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Vickit 2 and Vickit 4&5 for sale

Post by dragos »

pics? also where are you located?
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
andyryan
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by andyryan »

I am located in UK

Should also have said don't have any of the original manuals. I have pdfs of manuals for Vickit 2 and 4 but not 5.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Are there manuals and/or cart dumps anywhere in the web? What were these carts supposed to do?
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

orion70 wrote:Are there manuals... ?
http://www.nemetzpower.de/Denial/VICKIT-II.pdf
What were these carts supposed to do?
From the first paragraph of the General Description in the VICKIT II manual --

VICKIT II is a 4k (4096) byte EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) which provides 21 new commands and statements for the VIC. Nine of these are used when entering and debugging a program while the other twelve greatly simplify the programming needed to produce high resolution graphics on the VIC.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Last edited by RobertBe on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyryan
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by andyryan »

From Vickit 4 manual

"Vickit 4 is a 4k EPROM containing firmware to allow the user to load and save on cassette up to 6 times faster. Vickit 4 also features a machine code monitor, Hexadecimal calculator and link commands to use powerfull Vickit 5 assembler firmware."
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Interesting, thank you. Would have been nice to archive the complete sets (ROMSs + manuals + boxes etc) for preservation, that's why I asked.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I do have all five cartridges here, along with what appear to be photostat manuals. Part of the issue of archiving is... you could customise the cartridges. From reading the manuals, you could open them up and insert various supporting ROMs inside, so they can be as minimal or complex as you wish. Maybe for not all, but at least one or two of them. And I'd have to discover what memory addresses all the code is loaded into as well. AND... it appears they did fluctuate in content along the line, bits were swapped from one cartridge to another!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

I've been playing with the ROMs in VICE and here's what I've come up with so far.

VICKIT1 is the Programming Aids module, it's 2k and lives at ($B000-B7FF). You can read the manual in the first part of the VICKIT2 manual up to page 4:21.

VICKIT2 is the Programming Aids + Supergraphics module, it's 4k and lives at ($B000-BFFF). It requires 3k RAM. Obviously this one came with a cassette to load the Circle command into RAM.

VICKIT3 is the Supergraphics + Circle module, it's 4k and lives at ($A000-AFFF). It also requires 3k RAM. No need to load the Circle command from cassette with this one. Even though it lives at $A000 it is not auto-starting.

VICKIT4 is the High-Speed Cassette / Machine Code Monitor module, it's 4k and ($A000-AFFF) and is auto-starting.

VICKIT5 is the 6502 Assembler, it's 4k, I think it lives at ($B000-BFFF) but haven't gotten it to work yet. The <-E (<- is the left arrow key next to the 1 key) command which is supposed to start the assembler just resets the machine.

The VICKIT4 manual states:
VICKIT 4 is designed to run with the programmes aid chip VICKIT I or the hi-res utility chips VICKIT II/III.
I'm not sure how that's even possible since VICKIT4 and VICKIT3 both live at $A000.
Ray..
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

By moving the chips from one board to another, I think. If I get the chance, I'll try to scan the manuals I have for each cartridge. I have Stack product guides included with each bundle, and inside it mentions:

SUPERCHARGER PLUS - Programming Aids, Super Graphics, Error Detection, 29 great features! We have put VicKit 1, VicKit 3 AND the 3K RAM needed for graphics in one cartridge etc...

MULTI-ROM CARRIER - You save the expense of buying several cartridges. Simply pop your VICKITs (or other ROMs) into the empty sockets provided and soon you'll have the one cartridge with the power of four! (and a small diagram of a board with chips from the first four VicKit releases all on one board)

This is also backed up by some copy in the manuals showing you how to mount multiple chips per board.

The product guide also lists VicKit 5, and suggests it HAS to be used with VicKit 4, which may explain why you can't get it running on its own. Hah hah... actually, the FIRST line of the VicKit 5 manual confirms this, looking at it.

I DO have that Circle tape for VicKit2, so I may dump that if need be heh. I may not have VicKit 1 though, I've got IEEE488 instead.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Mayhem wrote:The product guide also lists VicKit 5, and suggests it HAS to be used with VicKit 4, which may explain why you can't get it running on its own. Hah hah...
Acually, I did use 4 & 5 together in VICE. I attached 5 first since it's at $B000 (I think) and then attached 4 at $A000. Still not working.
Ray..
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Fair enough. I'll see if I can scan the manuals and shed some light on why it may not be working. Could be a bad dump of course...
andyryan
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by andyryan »

Hi

Although I had some interest nobody made any offers so I have now listed on UK ebay at £20 starting bid (£50 buy it now) for each cartridge.

No idea if this is too high or too low so will just have to see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone who posted on the thread.

Regards

Andy
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

andyryan wrote:Although I had some interest nobody made any offers...
Right. I was somewhat interested, but then my money went to other Commodore items.

Good luck on your sales,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Maybe interesting for someone here?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/172116122469

also the ROMS here http://vic20.de/html/vickit.html