Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

[Ebay] Strange item on sale (not mine)

Post by orion70 »

What's this? looks interesting...
Seagull
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: [Ebay] Strange item on sale (not mine)

Post by Seagull »

I saw that too and am still scratching my head. I've tried every Google search word I can think of to describe it, but nothing comes up in any searches.

Sure does have a lot of inputs and outputs, and even looks to have a couple of stepper motor control ports as well. Very interesting indeed!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Something from the Star Trek Enterprise console maybe? :shock:
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

It's a VIC-20 customized as (educational) control system, mainly for digital I/Os but I see some analog I/Os are also supported.

The EPROM in the cartridge might contain the control software (if it has not been erased by bad luck, as its window is open), and there's either some extra RAM, and/or chips with additional I/O ports (likely, because there are no connections to the user port).

What makes my toes curl, though, is the self-made PSU inside. I wouldn't trust this one for electric safety - the metal cabinet requires a connection to PE, but there's none. If the isolation breaks on one of the 'hot' wires, and it touches the metal case, you can get an electric shock. :shock:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Exactly like a scene of Star Trek, when Klingons attack and Spock gets shoched and jumps backward from the console... :P
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Looks like they have had the vic-1020 as model for the case shape.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Should any member of the forum be bidding on it, let us know (not me, because shipping cost from the US is quite high and Italian customs charge 20% of the value).
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Wow! What an unusual piece. The Germans always have the craziest and neatest VIC-20 stuff.

I wonder if it was meant to control multiple audio cassette decks, for the playback of lessons or something...as well as receive input from some sort of multiple choice answer button.

i.e. the student would hear an audio cue in heaphones (or a question) and have to press a button corresponding to a multiple choice answer. The computer would keep the student's score, as well as cue the cassette drive to play the next section of tape or stop.

Actually, seeing the 24V, 12V and 5V plugs - I'm really NOT sure what the heck this is.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com