WTB: HESMON or VICMON
Thanks!

JR

><>
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

... so you just skip past BASIC and jump to Machine Language? :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Jeff-20 wrote:... so you just skip past BASIC and jump to Machine Language? :lol:
Well, I'm kind of playing with both kind of simultaneously! 8)

Plus it seems like the way to go is to program in BASIC and jump to ML for parts of the program that are speed-critical (?) :?:
Thanks!

JR

><>
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

JohnnyRockets wrote:Plus it seems like the way to go is to program in BASIC and jump to ML for parts of the program that are speed-critical (?) :?:
Yes, that's something I do from time to time.

The two languages are drastically different though. The only common part is that they both are sequential. So I'm not sure if it's a good idea to learn both at the same time. Basic is closer to how humans think. Like "If this is true, do this or do that". Machine Language is how the computer thinks inside of it's brain. It's tracing every little step of thought inside of the computer's brain so that's a bit different.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Boray wrote:
JohnnyRockets wrote:Plus it seems like the way to go is to program in BASIC and jump to ML for parts of the program that are speed-critical (?) :?:
Yes, that's something I do from time to time.

The two languages are drastically different though. The only common part is that they both are sequential. So I'm not sure if it's a good idea to learn both at the same time. Basic is closer to how humans think. Like "If this is true, do this or do that". Machine Language is how the computer thinks inside of it's brain. It's tracing every little step of thought inside of the computer's brain so that's a bit different.
Yeah, I find them both enjoyable for different reasons, but in truth I am probably focusing more on BASIC and learning the "in's" and "out's" of the VIC in general.
Thanks!

JR

><>
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

I remember doing my first ML routines back in the day. I would write the code on paper, then I used the Programmer's Reference Guide to translate that into byte values, then I would POKE those values into the VIC.

It was a long tedious process because I didn't have an assembler or ml monitor.

Those were good times. :?
Ray..
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

buzbard wrote:I remember doing my first ML routines back in the day. I would write the code on paper, then I used the Programmer's Reference Guide to translate that into byte values, then I would POKE those values into the VIC.

It was a long tedious process because I didn't have an assembler or ml monitor.

Those were good times. :?
Is the the best way to "invoke" a ML program? Or is it better to write it in ASM (monitor), save it and "call" it from the main program?

This is something I still don't quite "get"...
Thanks!

JR

><>
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

The "best" way is your own personal preference.

You could turn the ML code into data statement but on the unexpanded VIC this technique could use a lot RAM that could be used for BASIC.

Lots of programmers put the data statements into a loader program that would poke the code, then load the mail program.

You could also save the code to a file then have your program load it from disk or tape.

There are many other techniques, it's just whatever you prefer.
Ray..
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Again, why program machine language on the real machine... I get running it, and maybe even some simple debugging, but whoa, that's asking for a lot of pain and trouble.

Use the 6502 assembler found with cc65 (or "others" ;)); write your ASM source using a modern text editor; compile, test, run, and debug using UME (aka MESS) or VICE. When your target binary (PRG) is ready to try on real hardware, use your uIEC/SD drive and copy it over for LOAD / RUN on the VIC! It does not get any better than that.

VIC MON and HES MON are nostalgic cartridges only; don't even bother with their crap if you want to make your way into 6502 programming. :roll:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Okay great, now does anybody have a copy for sale? :D
Thanks!

JR

><>
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

HESMON is $27.00 on eBay right now.

A little high in my opinion, but the worth of something is always subjective, right?
Thanks!

JR

><>
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I like to develop with Aart Bik's 6502 compiler (mac/win/lin2c64) and the VICE emulator:

http://www.aartbik.com/MISC/c64.html

And then I copy the .prg-files it creates, to a disk image for transfer through zoomfloppy or sd2iec to the real VIC.

I did the latter half of my Denial-demo and the Poxelshows with it (first half of the Denial demo I did in the monitor of Power20 and VICE, but now I prefer mac2c64).
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Well, I have DASM all set up with the Crimson (Emerald) Editor and it works great with VICE, etc.

I thought it would be cool to develop on the VIC.

I know some guys develop their BASIC programs directly on the VIC, but maybe ML is just to brutal to do directly on the VIC (???)
Thanks!

JR

><>
8bit80s
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: WTB: HESMON or VICMON

Post by 8bit80s »

Have recently obtained these two carts and would like very much to find the documentation for HES MON
which is reported to be quite good at 32 pages in length.

Anybody have a lead on that pdf or original ?

Thanks, all.

Marshall
orion70
VICtalian

Re: WTB: HESMON or VICMON

Post by orion70 »

Not a pdf, but a good txt HESMON manual can be downloaded HERE. The full pdf VICMON manual is HERE (2.8 Mb, done with some old low-res GIF pics of single pages I have in my archive, can't remember the source - EDIT: gif pages HERE).