Problem with "Cave In" Game cartridge

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Problem with "Cave In" Game cartridge

Post by Barney »

I don't know what it is but I seem to be having a problem with the game "Cave In". I bought this cartridge 2 different times off ebay over the past couple years and both of them don't work. I turn the Vic on and absolutely nothing happens. This is very fishy. Was there some sort of influx where a huge defective batch of these were made? Could it be that my cartridges are for a PAL system. This last time I bought this game was from a guy in Venezuala. May this could be a warning for anybody thinking about ordering anything from there.

Same thing with "Deadly Skies". I bought this from Venezuala and it does not work. I just get the Vic-20 Startup Screen.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I know who you are talking about and I've bought a few things from him in the past without an issue. In fact I might have gotten my copy of Cave-In from him. It works fine. Could be a dodgy Vic... a few of my PAL C64 games refused to run properly on one PAL C64 I had, so you never know, could be the same here.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Thanks for the reply. No, it isn't my vic. I tried it on all three of my Vic-20's and I get nothing. I just realized I got burned three times from Venezuala. I got burned twice on Cave In and once on Deadly Skies. Needless to say, I am done buying from this country (bad luck).

Barney
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

try dumping the rom with easy dump, I can send at the weekend if needed but it is on rare prototype cart archiving thread on here
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That exact thing happened to my Cave-In cartridge too. Just stopped working one day. Opened it and cleaned everything. No good. If you find a solution please post here....but it seems like the ROM is dead.
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by PingvinBlueJeans »

Funny, I was just going to buy a copy of this from the seller in question. It's cheap enough, so I'll take a chance and report what happens.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

PingvinBlueJeans, don't buy it!!! I bought "Cave In" twice from Venezuala and both times it didn't work. The price looked good ( .99 plus $12 shipping). I would definately think it over before you make that move.

Barney
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Barney wrote:PingvinBlueJeans, don't buy it!!! I bought "Cave In" twice from Venezuala and both times it didn't work. The price looked good ( .99 plus $12 shipping). I would definately think it over before you make that move.
Too late, I already bid the $0.99! :P

If I win it, I win it...I can't take back my bid and I'm not going any higher. I'm not too worried really, I just want a complete one. If the cart doesn't work, I can always play the game on the Mega-Cart (which I plan to pick up soon).
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

If you don't win it, contact me and I'll sell you one of my "dead" ones. I must say that the case and sticker are in good condition. By the way, did you read the fine print. It takes 30 days to arrive. Good Luck, hopefully yours will work.
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Barney wrote:If you don't win it, contact me and I'll sell you one of my "dead" ones. I must say that the case and sticker are in good condition.
Definitely, will do.
By the way, did you read the fine print. It takes 30 days to arrive. Good Luck, hopefully yours will work.
Yeah, I've dealt with these guys in Venezuela before. It definitely takes a while to get the items, but I've never really had any issues. I've bought several fairly rare Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 items from them and everything thus far has arrived safe and secure.

Hopefully this cart will work, but after hearing the feedback here I'm not holding my breath.
-PBJ-
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Barney wrote:If you don't win it, contact me and I'll sell you one of my "dead" ones.
Okay, someone did outbid me. Sucker. :P

I'll give you $10 shipped for one of those dead ones. PM me and I'll PayPal you the funds.
-PBJ-
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

PingvinBlueJeans, I sent you a PM with my paypal email address. Thanks.

Barney
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I anyone wants one of these fixed, for the cost of return postage, I will remove defective ROM, burn a replacement eprom, and install this within original cart case.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Sound nice. How much would it cost to burn the new ROM? I have two cartridges I am considering fixing: Cave In and Deadly Skies. Thanks.

Barney
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

I just bought a "Cave In" off of eBay and mine does not work either. There surely must have been a defective batch.

My purchase was from a guy here in the States.

Is anyone still interested in replacing the ROM?

Regards,

Jonathan