WTB: NTSC Jelly Monsters (VIC-1905)

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Gabriel Angelos
Vic 20 Drifter

WTB: NTSC Jelly Monsters (VIC-1905)

Post by Gabriel Angelos »

The title pretty much says it all; I'm looking for a Jelly Monsters cart, specifically for NTSC. I'd like to get one in decent shape. Box and documents are not required but would be a bonus.

I'd prefer to use Paypal for the transaction as it provides security for both seller and buyer. I also prefer to buy within the US and Canada if possible, but I'm willing to buy internationally.

If you have one for sale, please let me know.
Thank you!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Are there even separate versions of Jelly Monsters? I know about a few label variations and at least two different dumps but both seem to default to NTSC positioning and flicker a lot no matter the video mode.

Good luck, they're not quite as uncommon on the market as Ward Shrake once upon a time suggested them to be. I think several of us have one or two loose cartridges of this game which could be up for sale.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, the lore about Jelly Monsters and Star Battle being very hard to find is about the only real erroneous statement from Ward's guide. They are far more common than that; I think I run both at about 4 or 5 rarity in the DP guide listing today. You usually see one on eBay every week or two, so just keep looking. I had a spare but it got sold...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I've seen copies of Jelly Monsters pop up on eBay (UK website) from time to time. I have a Mega-Cart so I wasn't particularly interested.

Jelly Monsters is a good game, though. There was even a time, not so long ago, when I favoured it to Quikman.
Gabriel Angelos
Vic 20 Drifter

carlsson wrote:Are there even separate versions of Jelly Monsters? I know about a few label variations and at least two different dumps but both seem to default to NTSC positioning and flicker a lot no matter the video mode.

Good luck, they're not quite as uncommon on the market as Ward Shrake once upon a time suggested them to be. I think several of us have one or two loose cartridges of this game which could be up for sale.
My impression was that there was only NTSC, but I wanted to be specific in my request as I'm not completely sure and I don't have a PAL machine.
Gabriel Angelos
Vic 20 Drifter

Mayhem wrote:Yeah, the lore about Jelly Monsters and Star Battle being very hard to find is about the only real erroneous statement from Ward's guide. They are far more common than that; I think I run both at about 4 or 5 rarity in the DP guide listing today. You usually see one on eBay every week or two, so just keep looking. I had a spare but it got sold...
About DP, did you mean digital press? I've been there before but I didn't think they covered home computers, just consoles. I'd be happy to pick one up if they have VIC-20 and C64 info available though it appears to be sold out currently. Could you post a link to the guide you meant?

Also, if you don't mind, could you give me a ballpark for an average current Jelly Monster cart? I realize the price will vary by seller, but a general idea of the current valuation would be good. :)
Gabriel Angelos
Vic 20 Drifter

English Invader wrote:I've seen copies of Jelly Monsters pop up on eBay (UK website) from time to time. I have a Mega-Cart so I wasn't particularly interested.
I haven't had much luck with eBay so far in finding this cart. I've checked for it periodically, but so far nothing's come up. I'll keep an eye out though.

The Mega-Cart seems pretty nice and I may eventually pick one up, but I'm mostly interested in collecting the original carts right now.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The online Digital Press guide is always available here and more up to date:

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

Some computers were introduced with the sixth edition, although the sections only cover cartridges. I began with the C64 section and took over the Vic20 section when Ward retired.

I have Jelly Monsters listed (loose) at $10 value. I think that's a bit optimistic today, perhaps it can come down a dollar or two.
Gabriel Angelos
Vic 20 Drifter

Mayhem wrote:The online Digital Press guide is always available here and more up to date:

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

Some computers were introduced with the sixth edition, although the sections only cover cartridges. I began with the C64 section and took over the Vic20 section when Ward retired.

I have Jelly Monsters listed (loose) at $10 value. I think that's a bit optimistic today, perhaps it can come down a dollar or two.
Thanks for the link, that's very helpful!

Do you know if there is both a PAL and NTSC version of the game? I spoke to someone on Lemon who offered a PAL version. Is there only one version of the game that runs on both?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

As I live in the UK myself... I've only come across NTSC versions. None of those cartridges I've put into my Vic have been aligned, always need to use the cursor keys/joystick...
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

So, the game was probably coded in Europe but it was only released in NTSC? Was that a common occurrence in the 8 bit days?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

There continues to be an interesting counter argument on that. The evidence points to HAL Labs in Japan coding it, but there's also circumstantial facts regarding Handic. Certainly for odd reasons the game appears more in the UK than anywhere else, and that's where Atari filed the infringement charges and court proceedings to get the game removed.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Maybe deep discounts on the final days of a losing court case.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, a number of VIC cartridges were available in Handic Software releases. For many years I thought it was an indication that Datatronic (Handic's parent company who did the software development) would have been involved, but it seems mostly like licensed redistribution. Apparently they had factories and resources to produce boards and EPROMs so they could offlift some of the demand from Commodore by producing cartridges from ROM files.

Compare with A World at War and the recently dumped Bridge game, which both clearly were developed by Datatronic. These two seem to have been written in Forth and then compiled, which makes sense since Forth was Datatronic's main choice of weapon. If Jelly Monsters and other game cartridges would've been made at the same development team, I would expect the generated machine code to look just as awful as those games are. Anyone who tried to disassemble those games know what I mean, it is almost impossible to follow what is going on even if you are good at 6502 machine code.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Ironically, I do have the Handic version of Jelly Monsters somewhere around here...