Interesting item to duplicate copy protected tapes

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Interesting item to duplicate copy protected tapes

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Nifty!

But were tapes even copy-protected? I used to make pure audio copies of tapes without problems.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Maybe I am confused. Why wouldn't a pure audio copy not work? How are they protected?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

A little depending on the fidelity of your stereo or boom box maybe. Those audio copies (called "hard copy" in my neighbourhood) would probably work most of the time, but would the analogue signal read by one tone head be passed unchanged through the stereo to the head on the other unit?

The copying device shown here, which I also never have seen, looks like it receives the digital signal from C2N and then saves it back to a new tape. Another benefit is that you could load a game and make a copy of it at the same time, but what about power consumption? Would it drain a computer with a weak PSU?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Yes, it would sure have to drive two cassette motors at the same time. ( But... According to my measurements - how many amps was it a cassette motor uses? ;) )....

I have never managed to copy a computer tape on a stereo... And with tape turbos, it should be 7 times harder....

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Up to 0.2A per cassette player, if your measurements are reliable. I assume the card itself takes a few mA too. On the joystick and user ports, there is a recommended max drain (50 mA on each joystick, 3*100 mA on user port), but the official manual doesn't have a statement for tape or cartridge?

As noted before, inside the C2N is an identical connector, supposedly used for internal testing. I wonder if it is possible to modify it in some way to "leak" the data to another daisy chained C2N, maybe with external power. On the other hand, if it was that easy, one could hack a plug onto the cable for similar effect.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

carlsson wrote:As noted before, inside the C2N is an identical connector, supposedly used for internal testing. I wonder if it is possible to modify it in some way to "leak" the data to another daisy chained C2N, maybe with external power.
It is indeed possible. On his now defunct Digital Archeology site, Ward Shrake had instructions on how to do it. Luckily I downloaded the whole site when he announced that he would take it down, so I have it archived on a CD somewhere. I'll try and dig it out this weekend.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Arma
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Arma »

I actually have the unit ward made and have made a few myself, have ruined a few as well cos my soldering skills suck :))))
I also have another unit for making copies using two datasettes and also have software that has never failed yet to make a copy of a tape using just one datasette.
Armas Vic 20 Tribute Pages are back !

Goto www.timsplace.plus.com for over 400 tape games, inlay scans and screen shots.

Please help support the Vic and i will try to convert all tapes to .tap files.