Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Radio Interface Cartridge for VIC-20

Post by Jeff-20 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 59016&rd=1

"Microlog AIR-1 Radio Interface Cartridge for the Commodore VIC-20
"
Very interesting.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

One of my friends in school had a dad who was into amateur radio and I think had interfaced it with the family's VIC-20 (which also was equipped with a Buti Plus cartridge I once borrowed). I don't know how he interfaced the radio though, probably through the user port rather than cartridge port like this device seems to do.

(btw, it is curious that the seller miswrote VIC-30 in the describing text, as that was the working name of what later become the Commodore 64)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really don't understand what this item would do.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Probably you plug the leads from a ham radio (amateur) into it and use it to tune in and search for other people on the radio network. According to this review of the C64 version, it is one of the best ham radio devices ever made, outperforming even today's hardware:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2604

Interestingly enough, on the same site, someone in February 2004 posted that he was looking for Microlog AIR-1 for the VIC-20. I've sent him a message. It is also present on VIC collectors have- and want lists.
Anders Carlsson

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Oi, quick answer from Wayne. He had already acquired two Microair cartridges from his February ad, so he was not desperate to get a third one. This makes me wonder how uncommon it is, or maybe because he asked in an on-topic ham radio forum lead to more hits than if he had asked in any general VIC place.
Anders Carlsson