There's some stuff in my local Thrift store

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Today, at the local Goodwill, I scored the 7 DVD collector's set of Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, in perfect condition, for $5.

Didn't Carl use a Vic 20 or something?

I really ought to make these finds relate to the Vic 20, shouldn't I? I'm fairly certain fans of the Vic 20 were also likely fans of Carl Sagan, so I'll stick with that. :wink:
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Nice score on the Cosmos series!

I have it on DVD also.

It is well worth watching.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Billions and billions...
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

gklinger wrote:Billions and billions...
It is also a hoot to watch Sagan for his pronunciation and the inflection he used while speaking.

Another good DVD series to watch is Steven Hawking's Universe (orginally broadcast on BBC).

Hawking seems much less animated than Sagan :wink:
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

Groan!! :)
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)
yoyodyne
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by yoyodyne »

Made a HUGE craigslist score today (thats kind of like an
online thrift store, right?):

Pictures here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 ... 8028WXxAtc
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21 ... 8028VHsxJf
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/26 ... 8028ikcrCP

Boxed:
128D
1541-II
Okidata printer

Software:
AD&D (about 5 boxed from the series)
Bard's Tale (several boxed)
Hundreds and hundreds of loose disks.

Bonus:
CMD Ramlink cart
Swiftlink rs232 cart

Two generic color monitors.

All for $200. Not too bad, huh? He was asking $300, which was
too much for my budget. He (or a former owner) smoked, but
the smell is fairly old, so its not too strong anymore.

I want to get rid of the flat 128 (its yellowed), and possibly the
boxed 1541, but I need to test them first.

The monitors are free for cost of shipping, but then again, they
need to be tested.

Later- I've got a bunch of software to sort out!

Brian
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

A Hewlett Packard 95LX MS-DOS compatible palmtop showed up in my local Value Village. It comes in a nice brown leather wallet.

It's in the glass showcase section (reserved for higher priced items). They want $69.99 CAD for it. If it was cheaper than that, I might consider it, but not for that price (I just wouldn't use it enough).

However, I know that these HP MS-DOS compatible palm tops have a bit of a following, so I'm willing to pick it up for anyone who really wants it - and will cover all costs, sales tax & shipping to your address.

Here's some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_95LX
http://www.rskey.org/detail.asp?manufac ... el=HP-95LX
http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/95lx/#intro
Harlock
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Harlock »

I did finally find a dingy thrift store in a falling down building on a dingy back street in cobourg. Had a pair of 1702's and 1802 for $20. Of course in very dirty looking condition. Almost went for it but as the buildings roof leaked and they'd been sitting there for an uknown number of years untested so far I've resisted the temptation. First time in forever I'd seen anything commodore related in a thrift shop.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Harlock wrote:I did finally find a dingy thrift store in a falling down building on a dingy back street in cobourg.
I'm assuming you're talking about Cobourg, Ontario, 'cuz I'm Canadian - but I might be wrong. There's a Cobourg in Australia too.

You should add your location to your profile.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

$70 is about the going rate for a 95LX. The demand is higher for the 100LX and much higher for the 200LX. I've got a 200LX 4MB that was my constant companion for years and years. I haven't turned it on in ages but I can't bring myself to sell it so it sits with all the other sad, unused electronics. :(

P.S. Harlock is a local.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Harlock
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Harlock »

ral-clan wrote:
Harlock wrote:I did finally find a dingy thrift store in a falling down building on a dingy back street in cobourg.
I'm assuming you're talking about Cobourg, Ontario, 'cuz I'm Canadian - but I might be wrong. There's a Cobourg in Australia too.

You should add your location to your profile.
Yes is ontario. Never gone to Australia so is not that kind of falling (upside) down place.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Harlock wrote:I did finally find a dingy thrift store in a falling down building on a dingy back street in cobourg. Had a pair of 1702's and 1802 for $20. Of course in very dirty looking condition. Almost went for it but as the buildings roof leaked and they'd been sitting there for an uknown number of years untested so far I've resisted the temptation. First time in forever I'd seen anything commodore related in a thrift shop.
I think I know the place you're talking about. I picked up a 1702 there years ago.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Isn't the 1702 a bit collectable, depending on its condition? Perhaps $20 is a bit on top for someone looking to make a bargain, but if it would be cleaned and tested OK, and shipping was not an issue I think there would be buyers.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The 1702 is a very durable monitor. If it worked upon testing it in the Thrift store, then you're pretty much safe in assuming it will work when you get it home. The total schematics are online too, so most TV repairmen could fix it (if you give them the schematics as well).
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

ral-clan wrote:The 1702 is a very durable monitor. If it worked upon testing it in the Thrift store, then you're pretty much safe in assuming it will work when you get it home. The total schematics are online too, so most TV repairmen could fix it (if you give them the schematics as well).
What is a TV repairman? :lol: :lol:
Once a viable career, I don't know how anyone could make a living in this business these days.