There's some stuff in my local Thrift store

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: There's some stuff in my local Thrift store

Post by Forbidden64 »

Anyone in the Orange County area of California would probably love the store called recomp. I found it from someone posting in a similar thread on vcfed.org. They basically have knowledgeable people in computers who sometimes stock vintage stuff. At the time, they had dozens of MFM hard drives! You don't see those very often. In any case, I need to get over there and post what they have. Supposedly, they get quite a lot of old computers in for recycling/resale. I live about 20 minutes from this place...and I haven't been there yet!

"... Since 1994, we've been devoted to finding new uses for used or obsolete equipment..."

http://www.recomp.net/

Apparently, they do electronics repair as well, which was mentioned in their yelp reviews. So clearly, these aren't your common or garden variety thrift shop guys who think that the hard drive is made out of wood, and that memory is made out of zombie brains collected by scientists from select corpses on the organ donor list. They seem to be people like us, in short...but with a store. Imagine the splendorous horror that awaits!

[I'm sure the subconscious reason I haven't gone there yet, is that there is a high likelyhood I would spend over $500 in one go. It would be like setting a kid loose with piles of cash in a candy store. Except I would have walked out with 5 model M keyboards, a few ZIP drives etc. and definitely an MFM hard drive if they had one! A nice Seagate ST-104 would do nicely.]
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Found a complete, boxed (at least, the cardboard for transportation) VIC-1020 in a local online thrift store. Their main business is films in various formats.

http://www.antonianafilm.it/scheda.php?product=V-2

I immediately wrote, but unfortunately it was already gone. Don't know who's the lucky guy. Hopefully, he will show up with the item in the bay, or somewhere in local online markets. The website only sells in Italy, so he's an Italian for sure (which gives me additional hope :)).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I don't think it's the same piece I mentioned above, but there's another 1020 for sale here (Italian classified ad). No box, and a very high price, but I guess someone will buy it. It's fully working. Not mine of course :)
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

I remember you regretted selling your unit... You're not buying it?
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I regretted selling it, true. But for aesthetical reasons more than technical ones (it was not working, I was using the shell in my retro set-up). So recently I had the opportunity to buy another 1020 shell for a good price, and I did it :) .
It's dirty and rusty, and needs a bit of restoration, but it's not so bad. Will post pictures soon...
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Wow, that's great! I'm looking forward for pictures of your renewed set-up! 8)
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

highinfidelity wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:50 am Wow, that's great! I'm looking forward for pictures of your renewed set-up! 8)
well if that's the case, then the plagues are a form of garbage collection

to wit

1 S=9000 (sins of Egypt)
10 DIM A$(S)
20 PRINT "FREE STRING MEMORY: " FRE(0) (Egyptians to be destroyed)
30 B$=CHR$(65)
40 PRINT "ARRAY SETUP ..."
50 FOR I=0 TO M : A$(I)=B$: NEXT (number of times to bargain with god)
60 PRINT "GARBAGE COLLECTION ..." (the sky darkens as moses strikes the nile river)
70 TI$="000000" (attempting to bargain with god to stop plagues
80 PRINT FRE(0) "BYTES FREE" (bargain failed...purging)
90 PRINT "TIME (HHMMSS): " TI$ " /" INT(TI/3600+1) "MINUTES" (Run for the hills, Iron Maiden)
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)