OK People, Time to Buy your Brian Lyons MEGACART!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

paytonbyrd wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:
nbla000 wrote:... since the Mega-Cart may start almost any stored Tape/Disk program too someone has some suggestion ?
Can a BASIC program be started from cart? I've always assumed not.
I don't see why not. You could store the BASIC code right behind a loader that would copy it from the ROM address space to the BASIC address space and then set the necessary flags in BASIC.
Yes, NBLA000 has already demonstrated the magic he can do with good coding. :D

I’m amazed at progress with basic loaders and integration with Mega-Cart menu.

This weekend, I tested a bunch of tapes for compatibility with Mega-Cart (while loaded from cassette drive) and realized how little I know on basic loaders.
Last edited by 6502dude on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Here's what I would like to see on the cart if it could be included:

Sword of Fargoal
Rescue at Rigel
Crush, Crumble & Chomp
Temple of Apshai

(the above are all EPYX 16K tape games available on Zimmers).

Also:

Sorcery
Tomb of Drewan
(and that Ultima-like one that a member of DENIAL made, if it could be single filed).

As you can see, I really like computer RPGs.

As for the artwork I did previously, I could send you the high-res versions....but perhaps it's not in the right shape (it was designed for a regular VIC cartridge style case).
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

I second Ral-can's great tastes :D

With a couple other suggestions:

The Tomb of Drewan (Might be a PAL and 2 part loader but think Zimmers has them combined):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsux/tomb.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsux/tombguide.html
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html

Pharoah's Tomb: http://www.mobygames.com/game/vic-20/ph ... creenshots

And if Mayhem could add Ultima Escape from Mt. Drash for the Vic-20 we'd be really rockin' :P

BTW: Are one of these sites the one people were talking about that was scammin Arma's website or is these a new discovery?
http://www.weekend-gamer.co.uk/Plogger/index.php
http://www.tntrbox.com/plat411/computer/vic20rd1.htm
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Centallica wrote:Are one of these sites the one people were talking about that was scammin Arma's website or is these a new discovery?
http://www.weekend-gamer.co.uk/Plogger/index.php
http://www.tntrbox.com/plat411/computer/vic20rd1.htm
They gives thanks to Arma (implying that he donated the info, did he?), but they don't mention Denial in the VIC 20 links (so, they may be aligned with the forces of evil).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

ral-clan wrote:Here's what I would like to see on the cart if it could be included:

Sword of Fargoal
Rescue at Rigel
Crush, Crumble & Chomp
Temple of Apshai

Also:

Sorcery
Tomb of Drewan
(and that Ultima-like one that a member of DENIAL made, if it could be single filed).
greedy :D

I don't think there is the space for all additional requests, if not all requests can fit in mega-cart i will open a specific thread with a pool.

For EPYX 16K tapes i need single-filed versions, are they multi-part games?
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

nbla000 wrote:
ral-clan wrote:Here's what I would like to see on the cart if it could be included:

Sword of Fargoal
Rescue at Rigel
Crush, Crumble & Chomp
Temple of Apshai

Also:

Sorcery
Tomb of Drewan
greedy :D

I don't think there is the space for all additional requests, if not all requests can fit in mega-cart i will open a specific thread with a pool.

For EPYX 16K tapes i need single-filed versions, are they multi-part games?
I thought this was a "Mega Cart" on steroids so why not include them? :lol:

How much space are we talking about that we have to play with (that might help our suggestions here)?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Crush Crumble & Chomp, Rescue at Rigel & Sword of Fargoal have definitely been single filed. If you cannot find them on the net then I can send copies.

Apshai is multiple file I think (Marko Makela made it function from disk when I sent him the original TAP).

I concur with Centallica's suggestion of Escape from Mt. Drash. It's probably the most notorious VIC-20 game so it should definitely be included.

The EPYX games were just great, legendary games. If I could only choose one to include then it would be Sword of Fargoal, Crush-Crumble is the next runner up...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

At this point, considering that 6502dude has implemented the NVRAM easily and made his own design, I don't see why it would be difficult at all to just get rid of the two EPROM chips and replace them with one single 32MBit FLASH memory chip.

If you do that then truly, there is no point in me going on with the FLASHCart.

Do you think it is feasible?

Truly, the M29F032 FLASH chip is just like a large RAM chip except you have to follow a procedure consisting of 4 poke before being allowed to write a byte.

I am absolutely convinced that if you made it that far in your hardware design then there is no reason you couldn't replace the ROMs with a single larger FLASH chip and it would actually make the MEGACart cheaper and it would double its capacity.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As I've written before, I've toyed with the idea to convert Mt Drash to be a 8K cartridge image. It is about 8300 bytes of Basic in its original form, plus workspace. I wonder if one of the Basic compilers would be able to crunch it somewhat? Another idea would be to rewrite it line by line into machine code, or why not convert from Basic to C and compile it with cc65 or Quetzacoatl?. It could be a fun, but tedious task. It would also make it quite different from the original...
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Centallica wrote: How much space are we talking about that we have to play with (that might help our suggestions here)?
About 10/11 unexpanded games or less if 8/16k or other carts (Close Encounter ?) will be added, carts have the priority.

ral-clan wrote:Crush Crumble & Chomp, Rescue at Rigel & Sword of Fargoal have definitely been single filed. If you cannot find them on the net then I can send copies.
Send me a copy i will check.
Apshai is multiple file I think (Marko Makela made it function from disk when I sent him the original TAP).
So it's not possible to add it to Mega-Cart without a lot of hacking.
The EPYX games were just great, legendary games. If I could only choose one to include then it would be Sword of Fargoal, Crush-Crumble is the next runner up..
Ok only a pool may solve the question.

I concur with Centallica's suggestion of Escape from Mt. Drash. It's probably the most notorious VIC-20 game so it should definitely be included.
carlsson wrote:As I've written before, I've toyed with the idea to convert Mt Drash to be a 8K cartridge image.
Ok guys "Escape from Mt. Drash" works great with Mega-Cart from about one month !!! but if you really want to play it you need to sweat, you cannot find it easily :wink:
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

ral-clan wrote:Crush Crumble & Chomp, Rescue at Rigel & Sword of Fargoal have definitely been single filed. If you cannot find them on the net then I can send copies.

The EPYX games were just great, legendary games. If I could only choose one to include then it would be Sword of Fargoal, Crush-Crumble is the next runner up...
Mt. Drash would be the ultimate (I'm getting wood just thinking about it from a collectors point of view anyways :lol: )

Isn't Sword of Fargoal on the C64 30 multi-game joystick already? Crush would be great if so :P
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

nbla000 wrote:
Centallica wrote: How much space are we talking about that we have to play with (that might help our suggestions here)?
nbla000 wrote:About 10/11 unexpanded games or less if 8/16k or other carts (Close Encounter ?) will be added, carts have the priority.
Sounds like the greed list is feasible :lol:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Have you played Mt. Drash? It may be the most valuable game for VIC and perhaps Ultima collectors, but playability is average at best. Some colourful and clever character graphics though.

I have archived but not uploaded a localized (Swedish) version of VIC-GRAF too, 8K. I will upload it to Zimmers, but I doubt it has any value on the Mega-Cart, as you probably already have the English version of this utility cart, if it is present at all.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:Have you played Mt. Drash? It may be the most valuable game for VIC and perhaps Ultima collectors, but playability is average at best. Some colourful and clever character graphics though.
Yes... :oops:
I've never played it before, seems that there are peoples that have paid a wealth for it.
I have archived but not uploaded a localized (Swedish) version of VIC-GRAF too, 8K. I will upload it to Zimmers, but I doubt it has any value on the Mega-Cart, as you probably already have the English version of this utility cart, if it is present at all.
VIC-GRAF is not present, we have added all know cart games (except the new discovered cart "Close Encounter") and the most important tools.

I wish to add in the Tool section a Turbo Tape, i've tried Cassette Turbo and works fine, any alternative.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

carlsson wrote:Have you played Mt. Drash? It may be the most valuable game for VIC and perhaps Ultima collectors, but playability is average at best. Some colourful and clever character graphics though.
That's what I hear but if you have Ultima 1-6 for the C64 like I do, then you need Ultima 0 for the collection :D Plus this pays for the cart purchase itself :lol: