OK People, Time to Buy your Brian Lyons MEGACART!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

OK People, Time to Buy your Brian Lyons MEGACART!

Post by KilrPilr »

In case you havent read yet, Brian needs to know how many people want the megacart (AIO cart) he and other people have put together. Now is the time to tell him how many you want. The price should come in at around the $100 mark for this extraordinary vic-20 cart. Tell him you want one! This might be your only chance to get a MEGACART.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ME!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I would say a tentative yes, but it's mostly going to have NTSC games on it. Is it going to be possible to load different images?

Also, is it possible to write software which takes advantage of the additional features of the cart?

--Hawk
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

KilrPilr wrote:Brian needs to know how many people want the megacart (AIO cart)
(AIO cart) means "All In One cart" but megacart it's not to bad what do you think Brian ?
hawk wrote:But it's mostly going to have NTSC games on it.
The all-in-one cart, the "megacart", will be released in 2 version PAL and NTSC where in each version there are carts working in both PAL/NTSC and when there is 2 distinctive carts for PAL and NTSC the proper version is used, where a game is only PAL or NTSC is used in any version anyway.

For PAL guys all my NTSC2PAL fixed carts are used in PAL version, so for example in the PAL version Q*Bert, Polaris, Springer, Skyblazer and others are PAL fixed, i'm plannig to fix some other NTSC only cart too.

*********** edited ***************

Now the final "Mega-Cart" release will be unique for both PAL and NTSC systems.

Is it going to be possible to load different images?
Yes, in the Early Menu just select the proper memory configuration "Vic +32K" and you are ready to load any images, please consider that almost all know game carts are present in the Multicart section plus a lot of tools and some hacked PRG2Cart games like Trout/Squeeze etc plus my Pong and Tetris 2006 original carts too.
Also, is it possible to write software which takes advantage of the additional features of the cart?
Which kind of software ?
Last edited by nbla000 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Guess I'll probably be in for one... guess I'd better see about dumping those rarities this weekend heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:Guess I'll probably be in for one... guess I'd better see about dumping those rarities this weekend heh...
Good, :D
I hope Mobile Attack it's the first !!!
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

nbla000 wrote:The all-in-one cart, the "megacart", will be released in 2 version PAL and NTSC where in each version there are carts working in both PAL/NTSC and when there is 2 distinctive carts for PAL and NTSC the proper version is used, where a game is only PAL or NTSC is used in any version anyway.

For PAL guys all my NTSC2PAL fixed carts are used in PAL version, so for example in the PAL version Q*Bert, Polaris, Springer, Skyblazer and others are PAL fixed, i'm plannig to fix some other NTSC only cart too.
This is great news. I better start saving my allowance now. :wink:
nbla000 wrote:Which kind of software ?
Is it possible to develop a multi-banked game that dynamically loads new banks as required, rather than going to disk? I guess I'm asking whether the non-volitile storage can be programmed easily (from a VIC), or if it can only be done via an eprom burner?
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

Do you have a "closing date" for this offer? I'm a bit maxed out after recent ebaying but I'd love to gather my forces for a PAL one.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Is it possible to develop a multi-banked game that dynamically loads new banks as required, rather than going to disk? I guess I'm asking whether the non-volitile storage can be programmed easily (from a VIC), or if it can only be done via an eprom burner?
Theoretically Yes, using 3 pokes, you may set 16k in BLK3 and BLK5 and the game start automatically with a reset, during game play you may set 3 new pokes to go to the next level that pratically it's a new game, just store variables in a safe point like $33C-03FB 828-1019 Cassette buffer.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I think NBLA000 may not have completely understood the question.

The design of the All In One cart does not allow to add new things into the two 8Mbit EPROMs on it directly from the VIC.

If you want to create a large game for it, you'll have to either have your own EPROM burner or ask somebody else to do it for you.

That is one of the reason why I was considering using flash memory on my own multicart.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Sorry my english it's very bad, but what Eslapion say it's correct you cannot write to the eprom but you may read from it and write in ram in $1000-$1dff range or others if you use custom chars, for example you may do a game with multiple levels where in each level there is a custom charset and or music etc etc.
JagMod
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by JagMod »

Yes, I'd like one.
JagMod
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

me

Post by dragos »

ME!!!!B :)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

My wife would kill me if I bought one today (since my vintage computing hobby is supposed to be dirt cheap), but I can "Hide" away a few dollars every month until the end of the year that she'll never miss. I do admit, however, that I am torn between Eslapion's cart and this one. Perhaps I'll buy both. Ah, to heck with it. Put me down for one in December. An xmas gift to me from me. Eslapion will probably come up with some other cool stuff I'll want to buy by then. ;)
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

As I said from the start put me down for one!

Back to unpacking,
Brian