Post by vic user »

Hey Mika;

if you follow up the thread, you will find a link to download the game

chris

p.s. how is your dog? ;)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As I wrote before, I wonder how many copies were ever made and sold. Naturally, most of those have disappeared or been destroyed by now, and if the volume was low (500-1000 games in total?), it isn't strange that only a dozen or so copies still exists, partitial or complete.

The fact that it is labeled Ultima should improve rarity too, as there are both Ultima collectors as well as VIC collectors, and the complete collection of Ultima games is smaller and thus "easier" to put up as a goal with your collection.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

vic user wrote:Hey Mika;

Hi Chris..

Good hear from you.. 8) Its been long time..

I check it out.. Then i could transfer it to 5 1/4 floppy.. :)

chris

p.s. how is your dog? ;)

He if fine.. that St Bernhard is still trying to eat my garage.. And he howls at night time.. what makes me nuts.. :D

Its great have Vic20 forum.. I did drop in immediately when I heard of this place.. from cbm newsgroup I guess..
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

vic user wrote:Hey Mika;

I can only found PC version not Vic20 version.. :?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I'm mad, I won a copy. Having been the runner up in the previous 3, I figured I deserved a break :P

Money has been sent off, hopefully the item will be sent shortly to my ex-gf in Chicago, who'll pass it onto me the next time we meet.

Reason for no online version of the game to download? For the reasons stated, would be too damn easy then for someone to fake a copy of the game really. When I get my copy I'll be making a TAP of it for personal backup reasons, but it will never be available to download.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ah, first time I hear rarity rather than copyright infringement as a reason not to make downloads available on Internet. :D

Actually I think mr. Franks or the other one who were among the first ones to get hold of the game archived a copy which was single-filed and kept on Funet, but now in the offline section due to known reasons.
Anders Carlsson

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Just for the record it WAS NOT Mr edward franks who archived the copy. He lied to me and said "If I get a copy I would make sure it was archived and available for all". That never happened!

Instead, my copy was archived and was given to someone to work with who passed it along to others. That is the copy that is out there. So to those who have it, enjoy! and to those who dont youll have to play the windows version until a copy surfaces but it wont be from me.

Ive did my part for the community so the game wont be lost. I never did get a copy of the one filed version so if someone on here has it and would send it to me that would be cool.

For the same reason as Mayhem I am reluctant to pass around copies of my game. If anyone should be getting monies for a copy of the game it should be me and not some leecher. My copy of the game was the first to be known to Ward Shrake and ed franks. It was the first to surface on the internet.

If any of you dont know the story of how I found my copy, it was at the bottom of a big cliff. Well this past weekend I took pictures of that cliff if anyone cares to see them.

and now you know.... the rest of the story!

Leo
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

now I want to play it. or at least see pictures.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok, credits to Leo. I guess Marko could confirm or deny if he holds a copy of the file or not, which is of academic interest for more than one reason. From what I understood, Edward was another Ultima collector, not VIC owner so he would not have the opportunity to play the game once he had bought it (if that is within the interests of a collector - the more times you play the tape, the more risk that it wears out or breaks).

Am I correct in assuming that every complete copy should include a warranty card with an unique serial number? While it would be possible to fake a such card in Photoshop, the current legitimate owners could put together a list of who owns which copy (much like how certain C65 owners keep track of eachother). If then a "copy" with the exact same serial appears on eBay but from another source than the expected one, all serious bidders could immediately be warned. It doesn't prevent someone from only selling the "tape" without box, but maybe you can list some security details from the cassette and packaging, much like how genuine paintings, money etc are distinguished by the experts.
Anders Carlsson