Why EBAY Sucks!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Why EBAY Sucks!

Post by Jeff-20 »

I saw some fairly common items in one auction on ebay. Some commodore tapes: Car chase, SPace math, etc.

To be sure that I got it, I put an outrageously high bid. No one would ever spend more than $5 for these tapes.

Within 12 hours of close the underbidder put in a series of bids to outbid me. Now that $5 is up to $40. I could have put in $1,000. I would have been outbid.

My point: People are idiots. They only want something that others want. Now this kid is going to think that it's worth something. Such is the world of collectables. Tell someone that you want something, and suddenly they want it to.

:twisted:

Now I am a little suspicious. I emailed the seller earlier asking if I could pay by check because I really wanted the item. Do you think the seller is driving up the price with a "shil" bidderl? If there is a bid retraction so that I am the high bidder at a ridiculous price, I am going to be angry!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

And this, folks, is why I snipe... no chance of shilling or underbidding.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I was going to wake up just before the auction's close, but about 24 hours before the end, I got nervouis. I was worried I might sleep thru it or forget. That's why I put in such a high bid.

I just hate when people don't know the value of something. All it takes is 2 people to drive the price up to irrationale levels.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Exactly... it's takes two to tango on eBay.

It finished during the night your time? Ah, can understand why you proxied and didn't snipe then. I do that sometimes if I don't want to wake up in the night, but generally I proxy as late as possible...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Strutter

ebay

Post by Strutter »

it's supply and demand, if no one wanted it you would get it then, but then if no one wanted it, you wouldn't be looking for it either then, that's why on ebay you only put down what you are willing to spend as your max, never an idiotic amount.......ummm not that i'm calling you an idiot!!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Actually, I was foolish, but it worked out. I got the item for one third of the price in the next auction.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Hallo Jeff-20,

> I got the item for one third of the price in the next auction.

I only bought a few things from Ebay. I first ask myself: what do you want to pay for it? And then I stick to this number.

You also need a bit of luck. I was looking for a Micro-Professor <http://www.heimcomputer.de/comp/microprofessor.html> for a long time but they were sold for unacceptable prices. One day I was lucky because the seller made a typo with the name and I accidently made the same one. He already wondered why there were only two bidders. When I told him he took it as a real sportsman.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org