Defect VC-20

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Schlowski
NoMess!

Defect VC-20

Post by Schlowski »

Hi to all,

after buying a lot of stuff at eBay, I have two defect VC-20 here.
One with IC in sockets and one with soldered IC's (CR-Version?).
Both have problems with some keys and do not recognize floppy drives.

If anybody is interested, I would send them out in exchange for some VC-20 literature/magazines in english (so it would be VIC-20, I think :) ).

Just for the curious, I have two defect C=128 here, one with only garbage on screen, the other one (128D) only working in 128-Mode. For some interesting old magazines or commodore books I would send them to anyone.

Schlowski
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I'm interested in a VDC chip from one of your 128's... It's the left graphics chip in the little metal box inside. (At least on the normal 128).

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Keys and floppies sounds like they have broken VIAs (6522 chips). Since I believe those are interchangable, you could've tried to carefully switch chips and see if something else breaks (or works). I realize removing soldered chips are not easy, but you might want to switch the two in the socketed VIC and see if it works differently.

See http://www.ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm/maps/Vic20.MemoryMap for technical details which VIA does what. I think if you swap the two chips, the keyboard and disk may work, but not tape, joystick, userport and timers (?!).

6522 chips are also found in the 1541 disk drive etc, as well as loose chips on some second-hand for sale pages. Someone with more technical skill than me (e.g. Lee) could correct me if I'm wrong.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Hello Anders,

I think the VDC in the 128 with only garbage on screen wouldn't be of much help to you, right? And crippling the other 128 to a total useless state is ... unsatisfying. Then I have total useless 128 here. Maybe I can talk you into receiving the complete 128D? :)

Schlowski
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Hi Carlson,

un-soldering is totally out of my abilities, I will never forget my one and only soldering experience - I soldered a reset switch onto my first VC-20. It ended up in huge blobs of soldering and only by chance did not connect the complete port :oops:

But switching the VIAs in the socketed one is a good idea, I made with switching of keyboards/cases and CPU a working VC-20 from two non-functional VC-20. So I will read about the tasks of the VIAs and try to switch them.

Bye
Schlowski
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If you pay for the shipping, then no problem! ;) But I don't know if I have anything I want to trade away...

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Boray, take a holiday trip to Germany and buy Schlowski something nice to drink etc and then you bring the defunct stuff back in your suitcase. :)
Anders Carlsson

Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Boray,

I have basically no problem sending the computer on my expenses, but it would be nice to get something in return, maybe a duplicate VIC-20 user manual or something else? I'm not about making profit, but I would like to get my hands on some english literature concerning VIC-20.

Or copy me some pages from magazines, just give me something :roll:

Schlowski

Post by Guest »

I think I have a "Learn to program" or similar paperback that is for the Vic 20. Would that do?

I wouldn't mind a second (or third) Vic for my network. 8^)=

Lee.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

Rats! should have posted that while logged in. How come we only need to be logged in to post on some pages and not others?

Lee.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think each subforum (or thread even) can decide if guests are allowed or not.

Regarding the broken VICs, can it be bad seating of the chips (i.e. VIAs) that make it malfunction like the chip was damaged? Of course, the soldered chips shouldn't rise from their fastening.. on the other hand, I remember that these interface adapters tend to be the first thing that breaks if someone plugged in bad equipment into the machine, so maybe it is not surprising if the rest of the computer works?
Anders Carlsson

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Schlowski, Hey! Of course I can send you something, but I don't have any vic-20 litterature in english. But I'm sure I can send you something else. I would be happy to accept the C128D and the Vic20 with socketed chips! :D I will send you a PM with my address...

/Anders
Schlowski
NoMess!

Nothing left

Post by Schlowski »

Hello to all,

there is nothing left from my list, everything's gone, so we can close this thread :)

Thanks
Schlowski