Ebay: VIC cart maker! EPROM

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Ebay: VIC cart maker! EPROM

Post by Jeff-20 »

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

too bad the person only accepts pay pal.

chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

vic user wrote:too bad the person only accepts pay pal.
As well as only allows US bidders and shipping. WTF!

Edit: Wow, there's lots of good stuff in this auction! It would a shame if it went to someone (non-VIC fan) who just put it away as part of their collection. I can think of dozens of projects to do with these things. But I can't even bid.

:cry:
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i went and bid before reading the whole thing, and had to retract :oops:

i don't know who 'oldcompcollector' is, but he/she sure has outbid me on tons of vic 20 ebay items in the past ;)

the saddest ones, were a books on interfacing with the vic 20 and robotics, oh i wanted them!

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

vic user wrote:i don't know who 'oldcompcollector' is, but he/she sure has outbid me on tons of vic 20 ebay items in the past ;)
Invite him here, and let's find out...

The words I have come to hate most:
"PAYPAL ONLY"

grrrrr :twisted:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Where I work, we tried to use PayPal as one of the means of payment (as well as online credit card, bank transfer and checks), but so far it has only been a lot of trouble and no-service from PayPal, so while we still have an incoming account, we advice the customers to pay by other means. I'm not sure why we opened PayPal from the beginning, as most of the business we do are B2B, and the customer companies are not likely to do their payments through that service.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

For payment between individuals or individuals and companies, Paypal is great! At least that's been my experience. i.e. I use Paypal to sell my band's CDs. Super easy. No need to try to cash cheques or accept credit cards. It's just great.

I'm going to try bidding on this stuff - I can easily arrange a US shipping address for him to send the stuff to.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Jeff 20 wrote: "Invite him here, and let's find out... "

I have tried before to contact other sellers, but i have not seen how to do it.

Chris
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

schema wrote: "For payment between individuals or individuals and companies, Paypal is great! At least that's been my experience. i.e. I use Paypal to sell my band's CDs. Super easy. No need to try to cash cheques or accept credit cards. It's just great.

I'm going to try bidding on this stuff - I can easily arrange a US shipping address for him to send the stuff to."
-----

If paypal allowed me to start up an acount without the need of a credit card, i would.

this is off topic, but...

i am totally opposed to the use of credit cards, as i view them as institutionalized loan sharks. sadly, my refusal to use a credit card, and also throwing away my driver's license on purpose, has made doing things in this crazy world, difficult at times, but being a vegetarian, i am used to these little inconveniences.

chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Yeah, credit cards aren't the greatest, but they're necessary for some things. I actually have three - my wife and I share one, I have my own and (not really mine) a company credit card for business expenses.

I keep them under control with a simple rule: I never put anything on the credit card that's more than what I have in my normal bank account. So in that case I'm using money I actually have, it's just paid for in an indirect way.

Getting back on topic, I just got this flaming email. I had contacted the seller to negotiate some sort of compromise.
Subject:
Question from eBay Member: Assorted Commodore VIC-20 Accessories (4135909463)
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:10:25 +0000
"Ed Mars"
To:
ebay@leifbloomquist.net

The terms of sale are clearly and repeatedly
noted in the auction listing.

Your attempt to bid on this auction is in
violation of these terms and a violation of
eBay policy.

We take a dim view of persons who have no regard
for terms of sale. If you'd like to preserve your 100%
feedback file, do not attempt to interfere with our
auctions again.

And, any attempt to use an alternate account to
bid on the auction after being blocked is also a
violation of eBay policy, making your eBay account
subject to suspension.

Do not send us any more emails.
Ouch! Well it's a shame to let the items go, but I can't say I'd enjoy dealing with this guy. The auction's up to $36 US anyway...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What an asshole!

I wouldn't want to buy from someone like that anyway!
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

what a scary reply to get.

i wish you had a friend in america you could broker the sale from

so far, i have had pretty good success, asking sellers if they will accept a money order, if their item description mentions 'pay pal only'

i have sent plenty of 'ask the seller a question', e-mails, and only 1 seller said no. the rest have looked at my feedback, and then say ok to money orders.

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Auction ended at $43.55. The seller seems very USA-centric, which can be told from his recent feedback, refusing to sell to the highest bidder (living outside the USA but with an US shipping address) but instead to the 2nd highest as it was confirmed to be someone truly living in the USA.

I wonder how much overbid a seller like that can offer to ignore only due to his policy. $10? $50? $100?

"We only accept PayPal for payment and only ship to PayPal-confirmed addresses within the USA, unless you bid ridiculous amonts of money!"
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Just as well I didn't bid then, otherwise the same might have happened to me (I live in the UK but would have a US address to ship to). Unless I got the person who it would be shipped to, to use Paypal for the payment. What a complete arsehat... sadly I've noticed a growing trend in the last 6-9 months for US sellers to be less willing to ship abroad.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

carlsson wrote:Auction ended at $43.55. The seller seems very USA-centric, which can be told from his recent feedback, refusing to sell to the highest bidder (living outside the USA but with an US shipping address) but instead to the 2nd highest as it was confirmed to be someone truly living in the USA.

I wonder how much overbid a seller like that can offer to ignore only due to his policy. $10? $50? $100?

"We only accept PayPal for payment and only ship to PayPal-confirmed addresses within the USA, unless you bid ridiculous amonts of money!"

HA HA That is soo funny you mention that as I emailed him and totally kissed ass to try to get him to send it to me in Canada. He agreed he would send it but I had to send him $100 (shipping included) but not with paypal. Only a money order or cash! Man I tossed that one around for awhile as I really wanted those things and that price wasnt sooo bad as i would have paid that easily for 2 tymac carts and this was 6 items but in the end I decided not to go for it. Just too fishy.

I searched high and low for someone to buy it for me and then send it to me but to no avail.I just dont have enough good contacts in the U.S. and the one I do have , I have already asked a few favors of and didnt want to bother him again! Man that sucks! I really wanted that promqueen and video thingy. the other three items I would have put back up for auction as I already have them. Oh I would have kept the cassette prog too.

So, in fact, he did have his price i just couldnt force myself to pay it is all. Looks like Bo Zimmerman picked it up in the end so at least its in good hands. Dont know who that oldcompcollector guy is but he sure puts his tag on alot of auctions.

I really hate the fact that we as a group could go up against each other in ebay bid wars. I guess its just a fact of collecting and just have to get used to it. Maybe we could call "dibs" in the group on items we see to avoid paying inflated prices. Anyone want to try it?

Leo