Moderator: Moderators

vic user
VicGyver

compressed text storage in the user BASIC program area

Post by vic user »

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks. Interesting. But what do you mean with compressed? Wasn't it about how the programs are stored in memory?

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I think he is talking about tokenizing, because basic commands are stored as 1-byte-tokens instead of the ASCII representaion of the keyword... This is some sort of compression :-)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i am glad they are being read.

what i think i will do (as i intend to scan much more material), is to go over the scanning software and find a format that is easy to read and does not take up tons of bytes.

then i will place everything on my freenet space on one page, then periodically mention that my vic 20 scan page is updated, rather than keep giving more and more new links.

chris
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Too bad the RENUMBER they mention doesn't even do half the job. :?
Of course, if one renumbers the program without altering all corresponding GOTO, GOSUB, and ON x GOTO|GOSUB statements will, at least with code more than one page long - wreck that same code.

At least this is what amounts to a real RENUMBER:

- Expand all numbers behind GOTO, GOSUB, etc. to 5 digits. So we don't have to shuffle the program around while doing the next two steps:
- Renumber first line. Search for all occurances of the old line number, replace with new line number - and mark that as replaced (so it won't be replaced again!)
- Repeat last step for all lines.
- Finally strip off the leading zeroes off any line-numbers inserted in the first step.

Michael
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

vic user wrote:i am glad they are being read.

what i think i will do (as i intend to scan much more material), is to go over the scanning software and find a format that is easy to read and does not take up tons of bytes.

then i will place everything on my freenet space on one page, then periodically mention that my vic 20 scan page is updated, rather than keep giving more and more new links.

chris
Of course, you always have use of this space if you'd like to store them here or link them here.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

whatever is easiest for people, is the way i will go.

if you want me to give you the scans as i do them, no worries there.

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have plenty of space to provide a mirror if you wish. Thanks for the great contributions to the scene!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.