Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

In case you didn't get the email with "videopoker 9":

Hi!

I found some space for some more things:

* Top score = Your highest $ value during the play.
* Intro message

What do you think?

I got rid of the W%() array and changed the deal sound a bit to get the space. I think there still is 10 bytes or so left if you can think of anything more to put in there ;)

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Good work, and eliminating W% with a formula was so obvious - afterwards :-)
The return of the intor message is great!

The hiscore feature is nice, but I think it now gets quite confusing with all these numbers in the top two lines. Even if I read your eMail 2 minutes before I played this version I still got confused by the "T 10" info until I remembered your top score feature.
Maybe we should switch the top two lines? And if there is some space left, maybe something like this:

Code: Select all

YOUR TOPSCORE: 10
$ 10 # 1       BET 1
to make it more self-explanatory.

If I get some spare minutes I will try to get this in, but maybe you are faster than me.

(Still wondering if this is one of these never ending projects, where every time one thinks there is no more room for enhancements another idea pops up...)

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I had exactly the same feeling first time I tried you version with the $ # ;) I think it looks quite nice as it is, or maybe we should exchange T for H? Or maybe something like you suggest... But I think it looks nicer when the numbers lines up like they do... You are welcome to experiment...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Your version is now on the web

(old link deleted)

I experimented yesterday evening/night a little bit, but could not satisfy myself...
Thinking about the top line inverted like the bottom line with something like

ROUND 1  TOPSCORE 10
COINS 10       BET 1"
Then we would have aligned numbers and due to different background colors more readability. What do you think?

Björg
Last edited by Schlowski on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

That could be a good idea if there is enough free memory...

/Anders
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Yip, memory was what caused me to give up yesterday, but this is not the end :-)

The cryptic output and undocumented usage is something that always bothered me, especially when you nowadays try to run some of the old programs. No hint which keys to use, no info what is going on, no idea what the screen tries to tell me - and then, while trying top squeeze as much functionality as possible into our program, we (in the first run me, of course) are in danger to make the same mistake.
But I'm sure we will solve even this problem and then I can again update the 'official' Videopoker with the new version :-)

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Schlowski wrote: Thinking about the top line inverted like the bottom line with something like

ROUND 1  TOPSCORE 10
COINS 10       BET 1"
I think I will give this a try today!

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Just sent you a new version! :lol:
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Cool, will try this in a few minutes!
Just have to read the last few unread posts here :-)

Björg

PS: Just played your version, GREAT! Now the info on top is clear and not confusing. And the ending is :lol:
Will put this as our actual Videopoker version to the web tomorrow afternoon. When looking at this I wonder why anybody ever wanted more than 3.5k Basic RAM :wink:
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Ok, updated the version on the web, please grab
http://www.stojalowski.de/files/videopoker

Again, thanks to Anders for his great work, I think this version is awesome!

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thank you!!! I think this has been very fun and I think it will be fun playing the game in the future too! Maybe we could enter the Minigame compo with it next time?

/Anders
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Cool idea with the minigame compo, if it's within the rules I'm with you!

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

They have a couple of different size categories you can compete in. I'm sure we can get into one of them. If not, we could try to crunch it with pucrunch. But then we would need a little ML part that starts the basic...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Have you considered compiling it, or does the compiler only generate programs for expanded VIC? In the 4K category, a 3.5K Basic game should fit just fine (there have been a few such ones over the years). How to start a Basic program from ML has been discussed quite in detail in the Programming section, regarding the Disk Utility cartridge. If no relocation or other nasty things are required, I'm quite sure only one extra call (3 bytes) is required on top of the JMP address.

Rather than compile or crunch, maybe you can take the opportunity to reprogram the game in machine code? I haven't followed the thread closely enough to know which kind of data structures and so on you are using, but I think it may be a fun and educational process. I have converted a few Basic programs by hand to ML. Not only did they become shorter (!) and of course ran faster, I learned a few tricks in the process.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Actually I was thinking about converting this to ML, but the most fun writing this was to get it done in pure basic within the 3.5k limit, so I personally think this would kill the spirit of this project.

Converting this to ML should be no problem at all, I have programmed much larger projects in ML so far and there is no difficult section or data structure involved here. Thinking about this I would say that handling with complex data structures is even simpler in ML as you can have something like structs and records in your favourite assembler. In basic you have to live with very limited structure...

Björg