Disk Copy - Two VIC-1541 Drives

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

VanishingPoint76
Vic 20 Newbie

Disk Copy - Two VIC-1541 Drives

Post by VanishingPoint76 »

Good Morning Denial members,

I recently acquired a second VIC-1541 drive (hardware jumper cut to set it as device 9) and am wondering if it is possible to perform a complete disk copy from one drive to another. Or even manually copying one file at a time from one drive to the other to avoid disk swapping on a single unit.

I know this was possible on older PET dual drive units (duplicate command). And I understand this command does not apply to the 1541 units. Even the manual states this is not really a possibility. I realize there were 3rd party software applications that would do this with a C64 but does anything exist for the VIC-20?

Thanks guys!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Disk Copy - Two VIC-1541 Drives

Post by srowe »

The disk copying for dual drive IEEE-488 devices is done by the device itself. To do multidevice copies requires a program on the controller. I've written one in Forth, it should run as a standalone program. There are probably others out there.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

My program d64trans should be perfectly up to the job: :)

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 65&start=7
Mike wrote:3. By giving '#' as file names on both source and destination device, the program can be used as dual drive disk copier.
Greetings,

Michael
VanishingPoint76
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by VanishingPoint76 »

Thank you for the replies :) Michael, I will try your program out tonight :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

VanishingPoint76 wrote:... Or even manually copying one file at a time from one drive to the other to avoid disk swapping on a single unit.
JiffyDOS for the VIC-20 includes the ability to copy files from one drive to another.

It will even work if JiffyDOS is not installed in one or both drives but it will be very slow in this specific case.
Be normal.