Sega Light Phaser

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Sega Light Phaser

Post by cbmeeks »

Hello all.

I got a Sega Light Phaser for my birthday and I thought it would be fun to see if I could get it to work on the VIC-20.

The following program doesn't really work:

Code: Select all

10 H=36870
15 V=36871
20 PRINT PEEK(H), PEEK(V)
30 GOTO 20
It just prints 129 and 0. Every now and then, when I press the button, one of the axis will show some random, odd number.

So, how do I program this thing? :-D

BTW, I realize that I need some type of contrasting white image or something similar. Not 100% sure how the Sega version compares to the NES version of light guns.

But I've been experimenting with it by shooting at really bright lights, dark areas, etc.
Cat; the other white meat.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Sega Light Phaser

Post by GreyGhost »

If your keyboard is still working and you have disk access, consider yourself lucky. IIRC, Sega peripherals have voltage on a pin that Commodores don't. Might wanna do some research to make sure.
Rob
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

GreyGhost wrote:If your keyboard is still working and you have disk access, consider yourself lucky. IIRC, Sega peripherals have voltage on a pin that Commodores don't. Might wanna do some research to make sure.
There are adapters for plugging sega controllers into comodores that cut out the voltage pin.

http://www.64hdd.com/64jpx/64jpx.html
I'very seen other but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

Ultimately it would be simple to by a plug, leave out the voltage pin and make your own adapter.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

I've made that adapter before for my C64 for Genesis controllers.

I don't think that is needed for Sega Master System controllers though. I could be wrong.

I believe the Light Phaser is just a SMS controller with the directionals not connected.
Cat; the other white meat.
FriedOrange79
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by FriedOrange79 »

I've been using a Sega Master System controller with my VIC-20s for a while now and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. Is the issue to do with the second button that these controllers have?
I also got a Light Phaser recently and wondered about using it with the VIC, since the light pen I attempted to build earlier gave similar rubbish results!
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

FriedOrange79 wrote:I've been using a Sega Master System controller with my VIC-20s for a while now and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. Is the issue to do with the second button that these controllers have?
I also got a Light Phaser recently and wondered about using it with the VIC, since the light pen I attempted to build earlier gave similar rubbish results!
The mega drive (genisi) has an extra voltage pin that can blow out your chips, the master system controllers are fine.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

ONLY the plain old regular 2-button pads are safe... somewhat

lightgun is NOT - but it can likely be rewired to work with vic20 easily, see here
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.