Release: VICScript v0.1

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Release: VICScript v0.1

Post by Bobbi »

This is an initial release of a new scripting language for the VIC-20. This should probably be regarded as an alpha or beta test release. Please play with it and let me know of any bugs or suggestions for the next version! The manual is included in the .ZIP file.
primes2.png
primes2.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
VICScript is a simple scripting language for the Commodore VIC-20 with 32K expansion and disk drive. VICScript includes a minimal line editor which may be used for editing program text (or editing short text files.) Alternatively files may be prepared in an external editor and saved as plain PETSCII files.

VICScript is primarily intended to be a fun simple language for twiddling with hardware. The only native types are 16 bit integers and arrays of 16 bit integers. A full range of C-style operations for logical and bitwise manipulation of values is provided. Constants may be expressed in decimal or hex and values may also be displayed in either base. VICScript also aims to provide a basic set of structured programming primitives, such as named subroutines, multi-line if / else / endif conditionals and a flexible while loop. The flavour of the language may be described as a cross between C and BASIC.
Attachments
vicscript-0.1.zip
VICScript v0.1 release
(222.37 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Release: VICScript v0.1

Post by beamrider »

Interesting....
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

I have had some fun putting it together!
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Good work! A command summary would be welcome.

Do you plan to add IEEE drive support?
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

There is a PDF manual in the ZIP file. Maybe it could use a brief summary at the end also.

What would I I have to do to support IEEE drives? Right now the unit number is hard-coded as 8, but it would be simple to add a 'unit' command to change it.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Bobbi »

I actually used this for work while I was in Sweden. See, I eat my own dog food :roll:

A Swedish colleague and myself were attempting to determine why a certain message was crashing my software, so we were squinting at a hexdump and comparing it to the protocol specification. I fired up Vice on my laptop and VICScript for the hex / decimal conversions and some other desktop calculator type stuff. Next time maybe I will bring an actual VIC in my laptop bag!

Yes VIC can!
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Release: VICScript v0.3

Post by Bobbi »

Here is version 0.3 of VICScript for VIC-20 and C64.

It is FREE SOFTWARE licenced under GNU GPL v3.0. Source code is included in the ZIP file. It builds with cc65.
Attachments
vicscript-0.3.zip
(274.4 KiB) Downloaded 229 times