Omega Race

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

Omega Race

Post by DrVeryEvil »

Has anyone looked at the code for the Omega Race cartridge? Does that game use software sprites? and How do they do it? :? The reason I ask, is I have been scanning through a dissassembly of the cartridge and see no reference to the raster register. Of course I just did a quick dissassemble by transferring the code to a lower location in memory and tried to defferentiate code from data. I am not real good at this, but am looking for examples of sprite coding.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Omega Race

Post by Boray »

DrVeryEvil wrote:Does that game use software sprites?
The fact that Vic-20 doesn't have hardware sprites kind of answers this question.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I would humbly suggest using the Software Sprite Stack from Robert Hurst and put your effort into the game-play and graphics rather than rolling your own.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... &hilit=sss

This is a proven library used in many of Roberts games and also my own Pooyan and more recently Popeye (modified).
DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by DrVeryEvil »

beamrider wrote:I would humbly suggest using the Software Sprite Stack from Robert Hurst and put your effort into the game-play and graphics rather than rolling your own.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... &hilit=sss

This is a proven library used in many of Roberts games and also my own Pooyan and more recently Popeye (modified).
I am just having problems setting up everything to use the VICSSS.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

What kind of problems?

I found the provided samples a good starting point...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

IMO, it should do no harm to try an own implementation to "get" the basics of how sprite graphics are done on the VIC-20. For example, the raster register isn't strictly necessary to pull off sprite graphics, the cursor display in MINIPAINT does perfectly well without it. And, of course, the graphics in Omega Race could also have been done in a completely other way, like bitmapping the whole display and doing vectors. ;)

However, the very topic of how software sprites are done is covered well enough here in Denial, with corresponding threads found even on the first page of the Programming section...
DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by DrVeryEvil »

Thank you Mike.