Call of the VICious

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Call of the VICious

Post by R'zo »

I have been playing around with Vic Tracker and Fisichella a lot in the last few months. They are both absolutely wonderful music writing tools for the Vic. I have had a lot of fun playing around with them but I have also discovered that I have a lot more fun writing my music out in the form of basic programs. Every time I go to write out a new piece or chip album I come up with different ways of using basic to write music and also end up learning something new in the process.

So in the spirit of getting back to basic I introduce to you my newest musical album written for the Commodore Vic-20 with 8k+ expansion entitled "The Call of the Vicious" Download Link.

Here is an mp3 demo of the track "Sub Rooting" on Soundcloud subrooting

For this album I chose to write all of my tracks using clusters of strings. For each track I reserved 16 strings representing short phrases of music. I then divided those 16 strings into rhythmic, harmonic and melodic lines ( making sure that all 16 strings would work with each other harmonically.) I then wrote I a routine that choses 4 of the strings at random and assigns them to the 4 voices of the vic chip. All of this runs through a simple player routine, checks for player control input and then goes back for 4 more strings.

This program also features volume contols, play/pause controls and controls for track selection. I also fit in a nice colorful text scroll for the track being played.

I had a lot of fun writing this program and I hope you all enjoy listening to it as well.

I left the programing completely open with rem statements left in place marking every section, routine and subroutine of the program. Feel free to have fun with this. Break the program down, remix the strings or rewrite them and make your own album (If you do I'd like to hear it)

Happy Holidays
R'zo
:)
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...