Reinventing sprites?

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Reinventing sprites?

Post by Kakemoms »

Hi

I though I ask since most things on Vic-20 have been done at least 3 times already. The thing I want to do is a sprite on an unexpanded Vic-20. I want to have all of the character set available and only change a few bytes using 0-1024 area and specifically the tape-buffer. I have already been able to make a IRQ that triggers each 8'th line and position it correctly in the y-position. E.g. I change $9005 so that only two bytes on a line show the characters I want. I do this on two lines so I get a 16x16 "map" for an overlay. I then copy the bytes that are in that screen area into this bitmap and ora the sprite gfx into it (the sprite is only 8x8). Tape buffer is 828-1019 which spans characters 104-126 in the 0-1024 area. Those 23 characters can also be used for a 4x4 map (16 characters) to make a 32x32pixel "map" for an overlay. But for now I want to use a 16x16 pixelmap.

The timing to get the correct x-position is not so easy to get going. For a specific line I can get it to stay were I want, but when I move the y-position it tends to jump around a little bit.

My question is if anyone has seen some sourcecode for such a project before? Or maybe even made a routine that works. :shock:
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Reinventing sprites?

Post by pixel »

No. Basically because lower memory isn't available for characters. See http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... y_location.

Fell into that trap either… 8)

EDIT: Forget it. Fixed the Wiki entry.
Last edited by pixel on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Ok? But in "MAPPING the VIC" page 132 it doesn't say that its inaccessible, only "Low RAM, don't use":
MapVic.jpg
And I was thinking its because the Kernal uses it extensively, so you don't want to f..k around with it.. Well, back to the drawing board then.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

You can use $0000-$03ff
You cannot use $0400-$0fff (3K expansion)
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

VIC programmer's reference guide, 6th Edition:
That explained to be why I only saw garbage when I tried to move chars to $0000. Switched to $1000 then, to get it to work. But I was being asked how to use a computer and a mouse every couple of minutes…
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

BTW, the Wiki is also wrong on the multi-colour codes. Exterior border is %01, foreground is %10.

Back to topic: going all-out like this normally would only be necessary, when the sprite display routine has no control whatsoever over what happens in the background under the sprite. That given, I don't see however the need to trigger an interrupt every 8 rasters.

Rather, a periodic interrupt in T1 is fired shortly after the display window has ended. It latches the sprite coordinates, sets up T2 in one-shot mode to trigger *cycle-exact* a few lines before the sprite is shown, and possibly also prepares the pre-shifted data in the 16x16 pixel matrix.

When T2 has triggered, a *constant* time is used to read off the characters beneath the sprite, OR in the pre-shifted data, and then replace those 4 bytes on screen with 124..127, which point to $03E0 .. $03FF.

Now, during display of those 16 pixel lines, mostly the normal screen is shown, except at the sprite's position, where the character set is quickly shifted to $0000 for 4 cycles (=2 characters!) and back again to default. That's easily done with STA $9005:STX $9005, a lot of NOPs and a loop counting Y from 16 down to 0. And, as I wrote above, with a careful cycle-exact positioning.

After this, clean-up: restoring the original 4 bytes in the text screen, and then exit from interrupt.

In the end, the foreground process is totally in the dark about the fact a sprite had been displayed at that place. You can change the background under the sprite at will, move the text cursor below it, scroll the screen - the sprite will remain at place, unchanged. However, colour clash will still occur. Best bet is probably to let the sprite take precedence of the colour attribute - again, only during its display - when the rasters are done, and before exit from the T2 interrupt, the colour RAM is restored.

Implementing this would probably take me a good weekend for a working prototype. Thus far I didn't find it necessary, as sprite routines on application level have total control over what happens in the screen background: you remove the sprite, change the background and then display the sprite again. I do it like this for the cursor display in MINIPAINT, and Robert's Triple-S system works quite the same way.

Finally, there's a big obstacle that remains for the interrupt based sprite display: like all 'active' graphic modes, which rely on interrupts to change VIC registers during display, it is rather difficult to keep a stable display during disk I/O. But then, I suppose you already knew that.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Not to be rude but I have made a demo, actually I made two (1232-1217 bytes):

Edit: removed old versions that were quite buggy.
Last edited by Kakemoms on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4matdemoscene
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 4matdemoscene »

Yeah you can totally use a lot of that first block for sprites. My Astro Nell game a while back has the map chars at $0284 and the softsprites at $338 onwards. (I had 4 of them up to 3x2 char size I think, didn't ORA the background because they were hires and I had to shift the X position in real-time anyway) I had the source sprite gfx in the stack and used the zero page for variables. Rest of memory was code and map data until the character screen at $1e00.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Here is a new version that is a 16x16 pixel based sprite running on a unexpanded Vic-20 (flicker free!):

VICE version (old)

Updated link Feb 2017: New version Vic-20 with NEOS mouse that also run on VICE (2.4.23 or later) with NEOS emulation enabled.

It basically adds a mouse pointer so that you can move the cursor around by clicking on the place you want it. Scrolling now works, but inserting new lines may garble the pointer it a little bit.

This version ACTUALLY works with pin 4 removed from the NEOS mouse (to prevent keyboard interference on a real Vic-20). Use an joystick extension cable if you don't want to modify the mouse (you can find them on ebay). Tested and confirmed.

Update: New version source code is HERE. It leaves you with 2268 bytes free for basic. The sprite data now resides in cassette buffer from 828-843 and 852-867 (leave 820-827, 844-851 and 868-875 as zero).
Happy unexpanded coding!
Last edited by Kakemoms on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

could you perhaps provide some code that has only the NEOS mouse stuff and just shows some numbers/coordinates on screen? because recent VICE snapshots actually support the NEOS mouse (also with vic20) - but this code doesnt work for some reason (which could be fixed, i guess)...
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

groepaz wrote:could you perhaps provide some code that has only the NEOS mouse stuff and just shows some numbers/coordinates on screen? because recent VICE snapshots actually support the NEOS mouse (also with vic20) - but this code doesnt work for some reason (which could be fixed, i guess)...
Sure.. I'll add it at the bottom of the Vic-20 mouse driver tread when I get home. The driver part is only a few bytes of code. Actually I will add two, one for the standard NEOS mouse and one for the modified with pin 4 connection removed (they work a little differently, but you barely notice any difference).

Well, as long as it works on a real Vic-20 with a NEOS mouse I am happy. I haven't seen any options for a mouse on the VICE_Vic-20 version I am running. It is a developer release? What OS are you running it on?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

its in the current development version, check a recent snapshot from http://vice.pokefinder.org (if you are running windows)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Here is a video of the Neos0k.prg running on an unexpanded Vic-20 with NEOS mouse.
tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

Witchcraft!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Just amazing :shock:
Kind regards, Peter.