Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Robot Riot

Post by Jeff-20 »

Robot Riot

Basic program
For the Unexpanded Vic 20. Keyboard controlled, joystick optional.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/ROBOTR.PRG

This is a program I made years ago. I have never gotten this program to work the way I want it to in emulation. I strongly urge you to play it on the actual hardware to see all the effects.
Robot Riot Instructions

You must defeat an army of robots. There are 6 distinct waves. Press any key (or the joystick fire button) to shoot at them.

Each round is ended with a bonus shooting challenge. The game can be paused between rounds with the run/stop key.

The 7th wave is the Robot King. Destroy him and win.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Very nice game! Looks quite proffessional. Places the screen quite high on PAL though, but everything is visible on my TV...

/Anders
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Wow, impressive what can be done in only 3.5kB!

But 7 waves are way too much, I never got beyond wave 1 :oops:
Seems that I'm just too old for such fast paced action - 1 MHz is enough to outperform me...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the compliment!

I think the temptation is to "tap" the fire button, but I really hope for a player to hold the fire button and time the releases...

I really want someone to play it through because a big part of the program is dedicated to the final round and ending.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i find it a tough game as well.

still can't get past wave 1

chris

p.s. how about an unlimited ammo patch? :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I wonder if PAL is faster (?)

You should be able to just hold a key without release to kill every robot in wave one. . . without running out of bullets.

How can I make the play control more clear? Is everyone attempting to shoot the robots individually? I just hold the key.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

ok, i will try holding down a key then.

i think the play control is clear, it's just people like me who do not read instructions, and go right into a game :)

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Can anyone help me with this game? Suggestions, etc.? Has anyone been able to get thru all 6 levels? Is it too hard? Any recommendations are welcome.

I have another version of the game, but I figured I would try to make this one more "playable" before I post more games. It may be a typical programming delema... the game seems easy to me; however, players are saying it is too hard. Is the key holding for fire not a good idea?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I played this game a couple of times the day before yesterday. Really trying to come as far as I could. Once I reached level 5, but most of the time I ended on level 3. So... If you think of that I have got 184000 on Omega Race and 21130 on Quackers... Then your game must be pretty hard! :D

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)