Display Mirror

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Display Mirror

Post by Mike »

Please forgive me the lack of modesty, but I believe this is one of the most important findings on the VIC-20 over the last years!!

After checking some books about photon waveform reconstruction I found out, that using both CPUs of the VIC-20 and the 1541 disk drive it must be possible to detect what's before the monitor and then program the VIC chip in a way to re-display what's in front of it.

In short, this program turns your monitor into a mirror! For obvious reasons, I can't provide a screenshot. You'll need to run this on a real VIC-20 with +8K RAM expansion (or more) and a disk drive.

Here's the download (mirror.zip).

Thanks for tokra and orion70 for inspiration and moral support to get this one through. :D
Last edited by Mike on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

Together with "gmail blue", this is the best news of today (so far) :-D
Keep up the excellent work! ;-)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks Mike for another great achievement, comparable only to the newly announced Google nose!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Thanks Mike

It really works :shock:

Kind Regards
Loof Lirpa - Denmark
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Hey, that's pretty cool. I managed to get a screen grab with my smartphone:

However I seem to get higher resolution with the power off, even though the picture's a bit darker?? :?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Schema wrote:Hey, that's pretty cool. I managed to get a screen grab with my smartphone: [...]
Hey, cool idea! I should have tried this out first before writing the original post in a hurry without providing a similar screenshot - and even stating it was not possible to provide one. :oops:
However I seem to get higher resolution with the power off, even though the picture's a bit darker?? :?
Now THAT is strange. Maybe this has something to do with tokra's recent findings of the new 720p, 1080i and 1080p HD modes on the VIC-20?

I'll have to investigate further ...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

To all those, who were somehow disconcerted because the program just seemed to show some flickering letters and then only a 'black' screen afterwards: run MINIPAINT, load the file 'MIRROR' into MP with Shift-L, change the background colour with Ctrl-1 and finally press SPACE to toggle to the fullscreen preview. ;)