Poke Utility

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Poke Utility

Post by Jeff-20 »

I normally only make games. This is my first effort at making a utility program. I couldn't find one that quite fit the need I had, so I just made something myself.

POKE UTILITY is a small BASIC program for the unexpanded VIC that allows you to put a user-defined value (as a a decimal integer) in any possible RAM location in memory as a byte. It includes brief, in-program instructions and has not been tested with memory expansions.

You'll have to play around with it to get a sense of what it does. I hope some of you find it useful.

download PRG
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Wow, I've been looking for a utility like this for years! Thanks!
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Surely there is a way to do this in direct mode from the command line?

I can't seem to remember how.

Thankfully Jeff is here to save the day.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Dirk Vroomen
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Dirk Vroomen »

Thanks a lot for that utility! Very clever, but a bit too late or too early. Who knows? Missed that one for about 30 years now: Searched in the Arpa- and Internet already, nothing similar found so far. BTW: Did Commodore wrote a manual for the VIC-20 back in the days?

Two complaints from me:
o The program should protect itself.
o Entering hex- and binary-values would have been nice.

More to come tomorrow? :wink:

Best regards,
Dirk
FD22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by FD22 »

I've often thought that Microsoft really missed a trick when they decided not to implement the POKE command in the version of BASIC they licensed to Commodore. Can you imagine how much easier it would have been to set memory locations to any given value if there'd been a way to do it without having to resort to machine-code...
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

It's so fast too!
And it checks the result!

(Didn't work with an expanded machine though. I guess having to check all those extra memory locations would be tough.)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

FD22 wrote:I've often thought that Microsoft really missed a trick when they decided not to implement the POKE command in the version of BASIC they licensed to Commodore. Can you imagine how much easier it would have been to set memory locations to any given value if there'd been a way to do it without having to resort to machine-code...
Heh. There was in fact a little third-party toolkit called "WinRT" that allowed you to do exactly that from a C++ program in Windows 95/NT/etc. (Not to be confused with the latest Windows RT).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for trying my utility, everyone. I've been in discussions to add it to Mega-Cart.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Hey, I put my Facebook address instead of a decimal address, and it poked me instead -- way too cool!! 8)

Hmmm, I didn't see this make it into Mayhem's Gamebase 0.3 WIP release. What gives? :?
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

rhurst wrote:Hey, I put my Facebook address instead of a decimal address, and it poked me instead -- way too cool!! 8)
:lol:
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

Jeff-20 wrote:Thanks for trying my utility, everyone. I've been in discussions to add it to Mega-Cart.
Well, it does make sense in a way: you could save the history of pokes into the nvram :D